DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    K and P Oil Filters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K and P Oil Filters
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted
Anyone using a K&P S19 oil filter on a first gen S10 with full length headers? I’m considering purchasing one. It’s a real PITA having to loosen the header to get a wix 51061 oil filter off. Any suggestions with an oil filter for “in the frame” headers are appreciated.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
what about a remote filter mount?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
what about a remote filter mount?

I tried the Transdapt remote oil filter mount but it was a tight fit and routing the lines was a real challenge. The remote I had was the cheaper kit with rubber lines and hose clamps. I removed it after I developed an oil drip at the team finals. Maybe a remote with AN would be better but idk... TY for the response

David Hammons

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not sure where your clearance issue is but I switched from the 51061r to the 51069r because the bottom of the filter was almost touching the header on one of our cars.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
used the K&P S19 filter on both my engines for 3 seasons starting 2016 for exactly the issue you are dealing with.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...807084086#5807084086

another option depending on your header/access clearance may be K&N HP1011

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
SP 124X the filter fits fine. The problem is there is not enough clearance between the oil pan, header, frame, etc(without loosening the header) to get the oil filter in/out. I compounded the problem by putting an oil pan with "kickouts" on.

1320, did you quit using the K&P? If so, why?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: the rain maker,

David Hammons

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I did because K&N is one of our marketing partners.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I did because K&N is one of our marketing partners.

Ok, thanks.

David Hammons

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wix, FTW!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Is this an S10 with inside the frame Hedman headers? It's really a joke trying to change the oil filter. I dropped down to a short filter and still a pain a remote filter is the only way with those headers if you plan on changing the oil and filter. I solved my problem, sold the truck before I put the remote filter on. outside the frame headers work but the front tires may hit if you cut the wheels deep.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Is this an S10 with inside the frame Hedman headers? It's really a joke trying to change the oil filter. I dropped down to a short filter and still a pain a remote filter is the only way with those headers if you plan on changing the oil and filter. I solved my problem, sold the truck before I put the remote filter on. outside the frame headers work but the front tires may hit if you cut the wheels deep.

Yes they are Headman 1 3/4. I thought about switching to fender well headers but then I would have to redo exhaust/mufflers. I’m not crazy about spending $200 on an oil filter but if it would work, it would be cheaper than redoing the exhaust and would eventually pay for itself.

David Hammons

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've run one for the last 3 years and while I don't have the clearance issues you are contending with I like the piece of mind with each oil change to have an easy look in the filter to see what is going on.

I inspect mine, wash it out real good and put it back in. It's a nice design and I always in the past with conventional filters seem to over tighten them or they get stuck and are a PITA. With this setup, the shape is built on the filter and the oil "socket" fits real nicely and is a piece of cake to change.

After 2 years on my 555CI motor the bearings looked perfect. 1 year on the 582CI motor so far....time will tell but suspect the same results.

Posts: 1441 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good product. How does it compare with system 1?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
tell the truth ski, you started using this filter after I posted I ran it and stated who I bought it from. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by the rain maker:
I’m not crazy about spending $200 on an oil filter

I'll sell you one of mine for $100

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ski, thank you for the feedback.

1320, I will take it. PM me payment info.

David Hammons

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Wix 51069 Is 3/4" shorter if that would help.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Wix 51069 Is 3/4" shorter if that would help.

Thanks for the info

David Hammons

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the rain maker:
Anyone using a K&P S19 oil filter on a first gen S10 with full length headers? I’m considering purchasing one. It’s a real PITA having to loosen the header to get a wix 51061 oil filter off. Any suggestions with an oil filter for “in the frame” headers are appreciated.

There is a late model V-8 filter, NAPA Gold 7099 (?) that is even shorter than the traditional short filter. The 1061 is the standard "long" filter.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1659 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i have used k&p for years now and really like it . simple, small, easily check anytime . 100.00 is a deal .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post