DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Door Car Tie Down Towing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Door Car Tie Down Towing?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
On the other you did make a fool of yourself on YB.

Fact

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
says the internet forum clown that ain't won anything anywhere except his local duck pond over a decade ago and who hasn't raced in years because he was so traumatized over one round lost when he hit the timing block.

There's no rational reason to get overly emotional about anything I've said in this thread.

I won Super Pro races at a high rate per entry, this is the logic I used spelled out in these pages, to eliminate variables.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
1. No one here racing Pro Stock!

2. Pro stock shocks cost $5,000 EACH!

3. I recently swapped out the OEM shocks on my GMC 3500 Denali just because, no leaks, no issues with ride quality with over 200,000 miles on them and they were replaced with the same OEM shocks.

With all due respect Ed;
Ok so you don’t have a fast car that depends on a good shock every run! You can’t come on here telling guys that BS! Some guys on here do have very fast cars. You don't have shock sensors to know if you are starting to have an issue do you ? We do. No you don’t need 5k each shocks to be fast and win races. But you do need to know how to read and adjust them. We do!
Who gives a darn about your truck? Trust me those are cheap shocks! Just because AC Delco broke it off in ya don’t mean they are quality shocks.

BTW , please don’t discredit this tech site and it’s racers and followers. There are guys on here that will not waste their time with your bs and are way over your head in terms of technical experience. Trust me!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4507 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1. my door is faster than most that post here.
2. The OP's car is quite a bit slower than my door car.
3. I don't need shock sensors, I can read a time slip and my Racepak data.
4. I clearly know how to adjust the shocks on my door car which has been 1.17 in 60 foot launched off the footbrake at nearly 3200 lbs.
5. I'm done wasting my time with your bs, you are CLUELESS and way in over your head, thinking YOU have more technical experience, trust me!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dave Morgan discusses this in quite a lot of detail in his door car chassis book. I know the book has been around for a while now but still a lot of good information in it.

The debate of where and how ot tie down has a lot to do with the roads you tow on. Many of you have the privelege of traveling on nice smooth freeways and could get by with doing about anything in the way of tying the car down.

Where I am it's a 60 mile tow to get to a 4 lane freeway over a 2 lane road that has everything from 30 mph curves to 6 to 7% grade. I can tell you it makes a big difference to the car's shocks and suspension if you limit it's travel or not over these rough roads.

Do what ever works for you, but don't just rely on one persons opinion as gospel, as their towing situation may be totally different from your's.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No different here Joe. You know I 5! Brian Brewer lost two Honda gens sets strapped to his RV bumper coming home from Vegas. Brutal! We had the golf kart on the lift at the back. It lost everything in the rear compartment. I love the roads North, East and South of Ca!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4507 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
On short trips, I tie the front down by the frame and loop over the rear housing. Anything more than an hour tow I add straps to the back and pull down the rear of the car.

When I don't, my Afco shocks are warm when I get to the track. I don't want to wear them out.

Shocks are probably the most neglected part on a bracket car. People bolt them on, adjust them and forget they are there.

I won't make outlandish claims saying I have never worn out a shock, never had one leak or any other BS. I have had Koni, QA1, Strange and Afco's all leak in the past. And I have been known to wear a few out over the years. You can tell when you replace them and the 60ft picks up. Did it get better due to valving, adjustment, better design?

My doorcar, other peoples door cars and dragsters. Same tie down method.

Just my .02, take it for what its worth.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What part of the TRUTH and the FACTS don't you like? Just because you refuse to believe, don't make it bs.

Again, a temperature gun instantly dispels, the myth, rumor and hearsay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom R:
On short trips, I tie the front down by the frame and loop over the rear housing. Anything more than an hour tow I add straps to the back and pull down the rear of the car.

When I don't, my Afco shocks are warm when I get to the track. I don't want to wear them out.

Shocks are probably the most neglected part on a bracket car. People bolt them on, adjust them and forget they are there.

I won't make outlandish claims saying I have never worn out a shock, never had one leak or any other BS. I have had Koni, QA1, Strange and Afco's all leak in the past. And I have been known to wear a few out over the years. You can tell when you replace them and the 60ft picks up. Did it get better due to valving, adjustment, better design?

My doorcar, other peoples door cars and dragsters. Same tie down method.

Just my .02, take it for what its worth.

You're smart for covering your azz on the known unknowns - risks you are aware of.

Same as the OP.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Your truth and facts are not the same as my findings on my personal stuff or others vehicles I have driven. What works for you may not work for me or others. We can have different opinions, its ok Ed.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
2 weeks ago and my 14 year old Afco shocks on this badazz ride that have never been compressed while towing, that have never been hot from towing, confirmed with my temp gun once parked at my pit, that have never leaked, performing just as they did the first day they saw the track!

Not opinion, FACT!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Awesome, good for you.

My Afco shocks on the rear of my Nova with a 1.39 60 ft are leaking and need to be rebuilt before I race it next year.

I guess its because I tie them down on tows longer than an hour from my house.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I guess so because my Afco shocks are 14 years old, ain't leaking, ain't ever been compressed while towing and my Firebird was 60 footing 1.23 2 weeks ago.

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about shocks, but if you tie your car down to the point where the suspension can't work, every time you hit a bump going down the road all that undampened energy gets transmitted directly into your car to rattle and shake everything. Seems like a bad plan, IMHO.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a 10 x 28 bias on it, Afco Indonesian engineering won't run within a tenth of factory condition Nova sbc n/a car, with out of the box Brodix Track 1 cylinder heads, to the 60ft.

We'll give ya the BBC and the 100 lbs

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
I don't know much about shocks, but if you tie your car down to the point where the suspension can't work, every time you hit a bump going down the road all that undampened energy gets transmitted directly into your car to rattle and shake everything. Seems like a bad plan, IMHO.

EXACTLY!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wrong

The tires act as the damper, towing rigid frame.

Big tires big damper, let some air out to loosen bump/compression.

Common sense

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well here is my truth NO BS. We lost a set of shock in 2019 in the rear of the heads up car. Towing from west coast to middle of the country cost us alot of money and wated time due to the shocks getting beat. We ran in Chicago in 2019 after towing the 1800 miles to get there. Unladed the car and it flat would not work. We went to the midway and talked to the shock rep and took the shocks, was pretty obvious once we got them off the car where the problem was. They pulled them apart in the trailer and asked WTF we did. They were trashed internally, so bad that the extension control was not functioning at all. Shocks had 7 passes on them at that time. Moral of our story we now carry a spare set up shocks and tie the car chassis down the best we can to limit movement as much as possible and have shock sensors. Not easy on a gen 3 Vette in a trailer with ramp overs..Oh yeah its in an ATC trailer..

My Stratus we use bladders on it to limit the movement some. As they dont stop upward movement on some of these horrific roads in this country, especially in Indiana where they can be almost criminal in spots Smile

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, this car is a full tube chassis car, yes? also who's shocks?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Similar thing happened to Mike Lubinewski. He also started changing his shocks prior to towing. The Long Island racers are forced to tow on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway which is probably one of the worst roads known to man. When I lived in NY, I had more stuff tossed around in the trailer during the 60 mile trip from NY to NJ than I have when travelling 1200 miles from NJ to Florida.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post