DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cylinder head suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cylinder head suggestions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Looking to put aluminum heads on my 468 this winter. I'm planning on just freshening up the engine. Might put a little bigger cam in it. has around 670 lift right now. (I didn't build this engine, just came with the car.)

Currently runs Low 6 teens - Mid 6.0 with 990 iron heads in 3050 lb car. Anyone have any suggestions for cylinder heads other than Brodix or Dart?

Not looking to blister the track. More than anything I just want to get the extra 80 or so lbs off the nose of the car.

Just looking to shift at about 6800 rpm running 1/8 mile.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a set of blueprint 8013 heads on my 496. I had them on my 468 also before I made the cid larger. Has worked very well for me on both engines.

Posts: 312 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Looking to put aluminum heads on my 468 this winter. I'm planning on just freshening up the engine. Might put a little bigger cam in it. has around 670 lift right now. (I didn't build this engine, just came with the car.)

Currently runs Low 6 teens - Mid 6.0 with 990 iron heads in 3050 lb car. Anyone have any suggestions for cylinder heads other than Brodix or Dart?

Not looking to blister the track. More than anything I just want to get the extra 80 or so lbs off the nose of the car.

Edelbrock, Pretty sure your 990 heads are closed chamber? Might have to angle mill then flat mill to get combustion CC down too where the 990 is.

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4629 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

CC the current combustion chamber 990 open chamber, then bolt a set of CNC ported Brodix BBC heads retaining the same compression ratio you have now.

The car runs good according to the info you've given, so the 990's probably have some thought / work in them, so CC the combustion on them, for matching compression ratio of the current configuration, with the new configuration.

Or just max the compression with a new piston and Brodix CNC ported aluminum head.

What you don't wanna do is bolt aluminum heads on it and lose compression/ POWER.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
990's are Open chamber heads

2.19-1.88 valves and around 119 cc's

They were over the counter replacements and came on LS-6 and LS-7 crate engines.

188's are the same head with hardened exhaust seats

With a typical dome piston and 119 cc's you'd be probably at around 12-1 compression

Smallish intake runner heads with about 115 cc's would be best....something around a 320 intake runner...

Lose some weight, push the compression up a little.....more squeeze never hurts....

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
990's are Open chamber heads

2.19-1.88 valves and around 119 cc's

They were over the counter replacements and came on LS-6 and LS-7 crate engines.

188's are the same head with hardened exhaust seats

With a typical dome piston and 119 cc's you'd be probably at around 12-1 compression

Smallish intake runner heads with about 115 cc's would be best....something around a 320 intake runner...

Lose some weight, push the compression up a little.....more squeeze never hurts....

Then the Edelbrock will bolt right on! Thanks Rich. I’ve never seen nor had 990. Lots of 291. 840 and 208. Iron

I missed the open chamber in his first sentence...! I didn’t miss the ; other than Brodix/ Dart.

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4629 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You can get a Edelbrock with a 100, 110 or 119cc combustion chamber.

Killer street head, but don't flow anywhere near even wing wong ching chong heads.

I got a set of new wing wong ching chong PC 3021's I'm putting on a 460 cid BBC I'm building now, I'd trade for 110cc combustion chamber oval port Edelbocks. I'd lose some power too though, because of the flow numbers between the two heads.

Who wants to trade? Confused

I sell em outright too, $1500. Who wants em, they flow 360 @ .700 lift.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What’s a GM 4026 head other than open chamber Ret port?

Posts: 697 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
3994026....71......rect...OPEN...454 LS6, 118cc chamber

A production line head....

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
PC 3021's flow 360 @ 700 lift.

Here you go OP new $1500.00

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
1) Don't buy anything that the cone crushers recommends or sells! Razz
2) As already stated AFR, Brodix, Dart and Eddy have a number of good heads in the 325 cc intake runner size!

Posts: 2163 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Someone i know.. Ya they went into the dumpster.
Surprised the seats didn't leave the area first.
2.5 months old.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1415 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
It appears you're not trying to turn the planet.

My pal that owns the engine shop in my signature just put a set of Brodix Racr Rights on a BBC. They made good power.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2546 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There are easier and maybe cheaper ways to shed 75lbs. Besides the fact that you don’t want castings from the two best companies nor are you looking to “blister the track”

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have Brodix Race Rite ovals on my 468. The intake runner is tiny at I believe 260 cc, but my car is heavy and runs exactly what I want it to. I always skew small on cylinder heads and headers. Dyno numbers are never impressive but ET usually is.

I had a set of Chinese heads on it before, and the entire #7 intake stud/spring/rocker came out in one piece in the middle of a $10k race.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3227 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
A couple of racers here run RHS heads....one an n/a dragster that's a 7.70 car......just an option

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1523 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
ProMaxx 317's

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 495 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busted Knuckles:
ProMaxx 317's

I had a set of those heads on another car and they seemed to work really well. Also about half the price of Brodix and Dart

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post