DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hoosier Drag Bracket Radials?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoosier Drag Bracket Radials?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted
Anyone have experience with the Hoosier DBR's? Wondering about what kind of burnout they like, opinions on starting pressures, etc...

Any feedback appreciated...

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Recently put a set on a car and we settled on 15 psi. The air temp ended up getting down to the lower 40's that night and therefore we were doing a bigger burnout than I would think would normally be necessary. Was very impressed with the performance of the tire as the 60/330 varied less than a hundredth from 60ish degrees to the lower 40's.

Posts: 4 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the feedback. That's good info.

Maxx Levell

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have ran Hoosier radials (non DBR) & MT PBRs 9" - 10.5" wide x 29.5 - 30.0 diameter radials. The all seem to like 18 lbs. with rims 8", 9" & 10" wide. They require a small burnout, except when it get cold. This is with a high 9 sec, 3050 lb. car.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It sounds like 15-18 lbs is going to be the sweet spot for these. I got a pair of the 28x10.5's to try. Also have a new set of the PBR 28x9's as well. I've always had great luck with Hoosiers on my car. My car just kills the sidewalls in them.

Probably try both sets at some point. I'm just shy of 3000 lbs, and it had a best 60' of 1.29 with the 28x9 Hoosier bias slicks. Looking forward to trying these and see what happens lol. I was going to try them on my current 8" wheels, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get a set of 10" wheels to mount them on. I've talked to folks who have used both with the PBR's, and they have all said they were good on either rim. I feel like I'll obviously get a better contact patch with the wider wheels. I can't go any wider than the 10" at the moment because of space limitations. It's always something.

Maxx Levell

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maxx Levell:
I was going to try them on my current 8" wheels, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get a set of 10" wheels to mount them on. I've talked to folks who have used both with the PBR's, and they have all said they were good on either rim. I feel like I'll obviously get a better contact patch with the wider wheels. I can't go any wider than the 10" at the moment because of space limitations. It's always something.

Just remember, using the same tire with a wider wheel, it will take a bit more PSI to get the same contact patch/footprint than it does with a narrower wheel. So if 15 PSI works best with an 8" wheel, it may need 18 with a 10" wheel.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
I was going to try them on my current 8" wheels, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get a set of 10" wheels to mount them on. I've talked to folks who have used both with the PBR's, and they have all said they were good on either rim. I feel like I'll obviously get a better contact patch with the wider wheels. I can't go any wider than the 10" at the moment because of space limitations. It's always something.

Just remember, using the same tire with a wider wheel, it will take a bit more PSI to get the same contact patch/footprint than it does with a narrower wheel. So if 15 PSI works best with an 8" wheel, it may need 18 with a 10" wheel.

Exactly! I will definitely be playing around with pressures to see where the car likes. I'm just hoping to get a solid starting spot..at least to get it on the silhouette. Once we get there, then we can work on hitting the bullseye Wink

Maxx Levell

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the info. It sounds like 15-18 lbs is going to be the sweet spot for these. I got a pair of the 28x10.5's to try. Also have a new set of the PBR 28x9's as well. I've always had great luck with Hoosiers on my car. My car just kills the sidewalls in them.

Probably try both sets at some point. I'm just shy of 3000 lbs, and it had a best 60' of 1.29 with the 28x9 Hoosier bias slicks. Looking forward to trying these and see what happens lol. I was going to try them on my current 8" wheels, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get a set of 10" wheels to mount them on. I've talked to folks who have used both with the PBR's, and they have all said they were good on either rim. I feel like I'll obviously get a better contact patch with the wider wheels. I can't go any wider than the 10" at the moment because of space limitations. It's always something.

We would kill the sidewalls on the bias slicks anywhere from 60-100 runs depending on brand. We have no issues with that on the radials & with 150+ runs on Hoosiers or M/Ts. I usually replace them around then for no particular reason. One of these days I'll try going to 200 runs & they should easily make that.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

We would kill the sidewalls on the bias slicks anywhere from 60-100 runs depending on brand. We have no issues with that on the radials & with 150+ runs on Hoosiers or M/Ts. I usually replace them around then for no particular reason. One of these days I'll try going to 200 runs & they should easily make that.[/QUOTE]

Yep...I always knew when my 60' started going away that it was time for some new slicks. Wear holes were always still deep. I've never had a problem selling my used slicks to slower guys who would always put no telling how many more runs on them without issue though.

I'm hoping these will help with that issue, and am looking forward to at least trying something new.

Maxx Levell

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

We would kill the sidewalls on the bias slicks anywhere from 60-100 runs depending on brand. We have no issues with that on the radials & with 150+ runs on Hoosiers or M/Ts. I usually replace them around then for no particular reason. One of these days I'll try going to 200 runs & they should easily make that.

Do I recall that you are running the 10.5 x 29.5 PBR on an 8" rim? I want the diameter, I just can't do the 28" after this pair of PBR's.
I just can't pull the trigger on a pair of 10" wheels that may not fit yet.
I had run 10.5 x 29.5 bias tires on my 8" wheels with a 5/16" spacer but still had some rub and I found 9x30 tires to be better all around.

Sorry for the topic hijack....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Goob,

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Do I recall that you are running the 10.5 x 29.5 PBR on an 8" rim? I want the diameter, I just can't do the 28" after this pair of PBR's.
I just can't pull the trigger on a pair of 10" wheels that may not fit yet.
I had run 10.5 x 29.5 bias tires on my 8" wheels with a 5/16" spacer but still had some rub and I found 9x30 tires to be better all around.

Sorry for the topic hijack....

Goob,

We have 3 sets of rims 8", 9" & 10". The 10.5 x 29.5 PBRs are ran on the 9" rims. I mocked one up on the 10" rim & it doesn't fit. The 9" made a difference it's tight, but doesn't rub & works very well. I'm liking the PBR better than the Hoosiers, but they are very close in comparison. In all fairness the Hoosiers are 9 x 29.5 & have run both the lightweights & regular radials in both the C06 & C07 compounds.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
The PBR is narrower at the section width so I think it can work.
If Goodyear hadn't denied that I got a bogus pair of tires, I'd never be having this discussion..... Mad

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I will go measure the mounted section width here in a few. Maybe that will help.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
OK, I had to put a little air (3 lbs.) in them to get them to 18 lbs. I was going to measure the Hoosiers, but they had no air in them. The M/Ts have been setting for 9 months, the Hoosiers for 13 months. So much for the resident wannabe know-it-all keyboard spew.

Anyway, I was going to measure both sets, but only did the PBRs. They measured 12.4 on the 9" rim. I don't remember the exact measurement when I mocked them up on the 10" rim , but it was around 12.9

I did a little research & Hoosier recommends an 8-10" rim with their 29.5 x 10.5 94" RO tire. The M/T is a 94.2" RO. Hoosier recommends a 9-10" rim on their 29.5 x 10.5 92.5" RO tires, FYI.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Goob, look at the 18209 Hoosier radial slick. 92.5 lightweight. I think your car will like them !
Ive got an old set of 10"Weld's I had on the Cutlass, that should fit yours. Just say so, and I'll stick them on a truck.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Tire pressure is not as critical with a radial as on a bias slick. The tires are built so sturdily that small air pressure changes don’t really change the characteristics of the tire.

I haven’t run a “bracket radial” yet but will be mounting the Hoosier 28 x 9 in a couple weeks. I’ve been running the radial slicks for 25 years, mostly Hoosier but a few Goodyear, and have run everything from 16 - 26 psi in them with the same results. I’ve run 8” and 10” wheels. I like the way the 10” look on the car but performance is the same. I’ve mostly run 17 psi the last few years because I always wear out the center of the tire first, but was going to go up a bit because launch photos show more sidewall wrinkle than I’d like.

I’ve heard great things about the bracket radial but I don’t think I’m going to like the look of the little 28” after running 30” forever.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have experience with the Hoosier DBR's? Wondering about what kind of burnout they like, opinions on starting pressures, etc...

Any feedback appreciated...

The people I know who switched to radials bracket racing, picked up a TENTH IN THE 60FT, so expect to go faster.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Oh, and for burnout I do as minimal as possible. Haven’t touched the line lock in over 20 years. Low, high, lift.

I’ve thought a lot about just leaving it in high but sometimes the tires get dry and I need to jump on it to break them loose.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KWig:
Goob, look at the 18209 Hoosier radial slick. 92.5 lightweight. I think your car will like them !
Ive got an old set of 10"Weld's I had on the Cutlass, that should fit yours. Just say so, and I'll stick them on a truck.

You had a 68-72 A-Body 12-bolt in it?
I'm in!
Those should be a 6.5" or 7.5" backspace.
I'll call you tomorrow.

Dave Cook
N375