DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Balancing rear slicks ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Balancing rear slicks ?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
After sticking weight on the rim, what are you using to put over weights for extra hold down to the rim ???? Thanks jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I've always used duct tape, just force of habit. I would think you'd be fine with nothing as long as the wheel was cleaned well before the weights were stuck on.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use ISC gaffers tape. Clean the wheel one or two strips down before the weights then the same to cover them. No more dealing with the double sided foam tape mess.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I stopped using tape a long time ago. When I am mounting tires, I use scotch-brite & brake cleaner to clean the backs of the wheels really well and use good quality stick on wheel weights.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I use foil tape over gorilla tape. Might be overkill but I had duct tape catch fire once from the heat of the brakes

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Speaking of balancing slicks,I saw a post on Facebook where many said they don't balance their slicks.
Are they really serious?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
I've always thought there was a rule (IHRA/NHRA) that said stick-on weights are to be used for balancing and then must be covered with duct tape to prevent the weights from slinging off at speed.

As for me, I always clean the wheel very good before applying the stick-on weights. Then I do cover them with duct tape.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Has to be a reason the tire guys use tape...even on front dragster wheels?

My son hasn't balanced rear tires on last 3 sets...says he can't tell either way...I keep balancing mine.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There is definitely a difference, you can even hear let alone feel it in the burnout with a door car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
After washing, I clean inside of wheel where weights need to go with lighter fluid. Apply weights and tap down with plastic hammer. I purchase the least expensive from Ebay and never had them come off. Always need to use a plastic tool to remove them. Don’t see the need for tape and never used it.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Probably has a lot to do with the wheel... if the wheel has a flat surface that is parallel to the ground it's probably not an issue but if its a narrower wheel and the weights are on a surface that is slanted, then I would guess there is a better chance they sling off at speed.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Put gorilla tape on first then weights then more gorilla tape……Way less mess on wheels this way

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Has to be a reason the tire guys use tape...even on front dragster wheels?

My son hasn't balanced rear tires on last 3 sets...says he can't tell either way...I keep balancing mine.

I've heard(hearsay, opinion) that you accelerate through an imbalance situation that it's not an issue Drag racing.

I've done nothing, bubble balanced and spin balanced. In my case, never an issue with any.

I like the tip by SP 124X. The glue/foam is a ***** to clean up.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i dont balance mine

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much everyone for the info !
jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight bubble balancer, Harbor Freight steel wheel weights, 3M VHB tape...never lost a weight....and smooth as glass going down the track...

When it's time to rebalance, I remove the weights, soak them in brake clean to get the old tape off, apply new tape, and reuse......buy them once and don't have to worry about them again.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Harbor Freight bubble balancer, Harbor Freight steel wheel weights, 3M VHB tape...never lost a weight....and smooth as glass going down the track...

When it's time to rebalance, I remove the weights, soak them in brake clean to get the old tape off, apply new tape, and reuse......buy them once and don't have to worry about them again.

I have used the foil tape in the past, but may try the vhb. I have lost weights.....but during some severe tire shake.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Had a rear set out of balance once, felt strange in the burnout but I didn’t put my finger on it right away. By about 330’ I figured out what was up.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The above post about "I don't balance my tires." caused me to raise an eyebrow. Consider the diameter of our drag race tires, consider the potential forces of several ounces of imbalance, consider the diameter of a crankshaft, do you balance the engine rotating assembly?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post