New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gear Vendors Q?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Does anyone have experience with a Gear Vendors OD? I recently purchased one used cheap enough I couldn't not buy it. It has a ford manual trans adaptor and no sleeve. I'll want a turbo 400 adaptor. Seller said it appears to have a bolt in yoke. He never used it, just bought it from a guy that needed the money due to health issues.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Have one in my f350 ccd for 10 years now.
You can buy the sleeve and the sleeve shim kit from GV.
Probably the correct adaptor, but it will be expensive.
Bolt on yoke is a t400 style they probably have that as well.
Pan gasket kit so you can check what is in the filter. 1 Qt of good synthetic fluid.
Expect about a 400 rpm reduction, you can run in double overdrive, but it will set off computer codes on a computer controlled truck or car as gear ratio error.
Engaging manually at speed without lifting will result in a harsh bang, as will disengaging as the cone clutch releases. Auto matic will engage at 20 or 40 mph softly and disengage when it falls below 20 or 40.
Get the manual as well.
Any other questions you can e me tedg1957@ Gmail, Heading out on vacation.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it's shipped but not here yet. I'll call GV after it arrives and I know more. It's going in a 69 firebird with a turbo 400 so there are no computers to fool.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have one in my 68 Camaro, came out of a Ford F450 tow truck. Bought the needed adapters from GV for the TH400, they actually wanted to Ford stuff from me too. No complaints has been in the car for 19 years with no issues. Its a 9 second pump gas street car FWIW

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I got it today, The sump had a shadow of black in the bottom, very clean looking. G/V does Have the Turbo 400 kit they want the old ford adapter but there's a core charge that you get back if your old one is OK. It had a 1350 bolt on u joint slip yoke. I haven't bought a new yoke for the 9" daytona bearing retainer yet so all's good.
Thanks for the info.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Don, those Gear Vendors overdrive units are plenty durable.
A buddy of mine put one in his big block Nova around 1999. He has been driving the car to the track and back for decades. In 2000, he drove it 600+ miles to the ET Finals, won the event, and drove it home. No issues.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1040 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I found a couple T400 adapters used, they are close to GV's price. The main difference being GV has a core charge on the T19 adapter I have. GV says $650 for the T400 adapter and a $250 core charge of which I'll get $200 back since I don't have the splined coupler. Makes it $700.
Used parts dealers say $650 used and no core charge. I guess it's worth the extra $50 to know the bushing is good and I get the shim kit. I'd probably sit on the T19 adapter forever anyway.