DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dually insurance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dually insurance?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
What kind of insurance do you have on your dually? Do you have towing. Do you have gap insurance? Personal use only.

Posts: 1922 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of insurance do you have on your dually? Do you have towing. Do you have gap insurance? Personal use only.

Just the standard liability, comprehensive and collision. My trailer is covered by my truck insurance in the form of liability and collision, I need a separate policy on the trailer for comprehensive. Gap insurance will differ based on your assets current value vs debt owed for that vehicle.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My Country agent tells me that I need liability insurance for the trailer alone because IF the hitch breaks and the trailer crosses the median or centerline and kills someone that the tow vehicle policy would not be in effect. I have spoke my mind but that didn't change her opinion.

Posts: 192 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
Good grief...I had not considered that, but would the argument be that the trailer couldn't have HIT anyone if it wasn't being towed by your insured vehicle to start with?

I would have a serious problem with her/her agency...Good luck!

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
My Country agent tells me that I need liability insurance for the trailer alone because IF the hitch breaks and the trailer crosses the median or centerline and kills someone that the tow vehicle policy would not be in effect. I have spoke my mind but that didn't change her opinion.

She’s either clueless or more than likely just wants to make more $.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Insurance laws and prices vary greatly from state to state.

My personal opinion is if you need GAP you shouldn't have bought it.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
GAP is another insurance scam to jack premiums. Never had it in any car/truck I’ve owned.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
If your truck is older and say you added 5-10 thousand dollars of accessories say rims wench special paint etc. that is what I mean. Im sorry I guess I worded the towing wrong. I am talking about say your truck broke 100 miles from home.do you have towing insurance to tow it somewhere?

Posts: 1922 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes, GOOD SAM Platinum+ and it covers all my drivers so no matter what/whose car/truck they are driving, they are covered.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
But how far will it tow you back? to your house .nearest shop etc?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
100 miles

“ If there is a request to be towed to a location other than the nearest professional service center, as described above, the vehicle will not be entitled to any additional towing services for the same disablement. If a request is made to tow the vehicle home, Member will be required to pay the excess mileage fee if that distance exceeds 100 miles from the disablement location.
The mileage fees for any excess mileage and other fees for additional towing services will be determined and billed directly by the independent service provider at the time of the disablement, and all payment of that additional mileage fee
or additional towing service will be paid directly to the service provider by the Member, Associate, or Extended Family Member.”

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:

If you can't afford to write a check to replace your pick-up in the event you totaled it, then you need insurance on it. Most likely full coverage with UIM (uninsured motorists) If you owe far more than it's worth and you can't afford to cover the difference in the event you totaled it, then you need gap insurance. Unless you have The General or some other throw off insurer, your liability covers the trailer should it part ways and damage someone or their property. Your truck insurance would not cover any damage to the trailer at any time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 561 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
Roger is spot on .....

Posts: 787 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
FWIW I pay about $200 a year for coverage on my 1990 C3500, without collision or comprehensive, through State Farm.

I also pay about $130/year for State Farm's $1,000,000 'umbrella' liability coverage, which covers my home and raises my auto liability coverage to one million dollars as well.

Plus by extension, the umbrella plan covers some rental farm land that I co-own.

The umbrella coverage reduces my auto premiums some, greatly reducing the net cost of the umbrella premium.

Posts: 377 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post