DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange axel bearing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange axel bearing
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted
Anyone having issues with the strange A1021 axel bearings ? In 2020 i had to change one bearing and in 2021 i changed 4 and both wheels have rearend grease on them again so make that 6 in 2021. Every time i pull it apart the brads on the cage around the ballbearing has come loose. When installing the Axel it only takes a few light taps with a hammer to knock it in so its not to tight. And this is happening on both sides not just one side.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of bearings! All of our door cars have housings we have shortened or built and the axles go in and out buy hand. If you know someone with a shorten jig it wouldn't hurt to put it in the housing and see how the housing end pucks line up.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Had the guy that shortened it check the ends and there good. Only a few light taps and there in. My other housing with moser axels and bearing you had to beat the crap out of the axel to get it in and I only replaced 1 bearing in 15 years of running it. I am gonna change to a miser bearing this go around to see what happens. Didn’t know if strange just had a bad batch or if I do have an issue. First year I only replaced one bearing. The last one I put in has 4 races on it and started leaking so I’m sure the cage has came apart on it also

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a brace on the 9" housing.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 391T
posted Hide Post
Put A1021 in two years ago and they leaked all last year and one felt rough. Changed to Moser 9508T they have a seal on both sides hoping they are better. The original Strange ones had a seal on both sides.

Scott Smith

Posts: 301 | Location: Barbourville, KY | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Do the bearings feel bad or just leaking? Do you have a vent in the housing and is it clear?

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
how are you pressing the bearing onto the axles?

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Housing is a Chassisworks fab 9 with brace, only one of the bearings felt rough or made a noise coasting, but every one that’s leaked after pulling apart the brads on cage that goes over the balls has came loose. As far as pressing them on I don’t own a press so a chassis/ trans shop has pressed all the bearings on with a press. I ordered the moser bearings so hopefully that takes care or it

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not to be smart a--. If multiple have had issues I would be changing regardless of the reason. Two breao there is not going t0o be a third. I understand you are just checking if others are having issues. I bet that 95%of times I called a manufacturer about something it was. "You are the only one having that problem".

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Your correct they say they’ve not had any issues but this is to many to try again. They set 2 new ones to the chassis shop because ive had issues but there not going in it. I’m over pulling it apart ever 5-8 weeks to fix