DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Any Hardtail guys around?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Hardtail guys around?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Roll through it. Otherwise you'll be tracking the water. Me. not much to worry about on the HT vs a suspended car.

Brain.
Foot.
Tire Pressure. And that's on a bad day. lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1412 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Read over real close the post from Mad Dog, TD3550, Paul S/Q, and SP 124X and if you do not believe them then look at any thread about tires here on this forum.

The problem with the Hoosiers is tire shake and they do not work well on the wider end of temp ranges where a MT tire will get you down the track.

Read their post and think about it. They are telling you to help you and it is up to you if you take the advice or not. I will tell you they are right. I have ran quite a few Hoosiers and won a lot of races with them. The MT tires work much better on my car and probably will on yours to. On your car I would at least try to borrow a set of MT tires and see if your problems magically go away.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I'm paying attention to what everyone is saying. I am going to give it one go with my old settings and see what happens - if it's still the same song and dance, then I'll be getting a set of the M/Ts.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Hard tails love MT stiff side wall tires. I run a hard tail altered and when I switched to MT's it was a whole new ball game. My racing bud with a hard tail dragster did the same thing and loves them. You won't be sorry for making the investment. Remember, stiff side walls...

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have been told by Denis to throw away my Hoosiers and go to MTs and I think I will try it this spring

Posts: 414 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It’s been mentioned already kinda, but when running Hoosiers or Goodyear’s on a ht, I had the best luck this way: roll through the puddle quickly, roll into the throttle to build up even more ground speed, then if you even think there’s a chance the tires are thinking about hooking up, go to neutral and stomp the brake pedal.

Then I switched to MTs and could wave at fans and eat a sandwich during the burnout bc they’ll be fine no matter what you do.

Posts: 945 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
It’s been mentioned already kinda, but when running Hoosiers or Goodyear’s on a ht, I had the best luck this way: roll through the puddle quickly, roll into the throttle to build up even more ground speed, then if you even think there’s a chance the tires are thinking about hooking up, go to neutral and stomp the brake pedal.

Then I switched to MTs and could wave at fans and eat a sandwich during the burnout bc they’ll be fine no matter what you do.

Lol, quote of the day.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
I have been told by Denis to throw away my Hoosiers and go to MTs and I think I will try it this spring

Denis is Right.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’m wondering if going to 16’s will cure all your issues. I thought I had burn-out issues with shake and inconsistent 60’s and going to 16’s cured everything. It all started when I went from a decent 427bbc to a good 505bbc.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPosey:
I’m wondering if going to 16’s will cure all your issues. I thought I had burn-out issues with shake and inconsistent 60’s and going to 16’s cured everything. It all started when I went from a decent 427bbc to a good 505bbc.

I assume you mean a 16" wheel diameter. I'm probably on the edge for wheel speed now. What gear are you pulling?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why would the rim diameter affect wheel speed if still ran say a 33” tire?

Posts: 414 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Why would the rim diameter affect wheel speed if still ran say a 33” tire?

If you have same diameter tire on a one inch larger rim will make sidewall shorter and may stiffen sidewall some.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
What you don't want to do is "Over Tire" a car.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m not into tire wars but....I’ve been watching the new Hoosier TD tire being run on some of the cars at Vegas this weekend and tested earlier., if they are anything like the new Top Sportsman Tires we are/have tested you are in for a surprise. They are bad a z z. I cannot give you tire numbers. They don’t have any. I would
Not be surprised if a Hoosier wins it.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4599 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean a 16" wheel diameter. I'm probably on the edge for wheel speed now. What gear are you pulling?[/QUOTE] Yes 16 in diameter and no beadlock. 33.5 tall tire. I have 4.30s. It would be expensive, but I would like to try beadlocks with the 13.5 wide bubba style tire and 4.56 but I do not believe the expense is worth it on my combo.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
I’m not into tire wars but....I’ve been watching the new Hoosier TD tire being run on some of the cars at Vegas this weekend and tested earlier., if they are anything like the new Top Sportsman Tires we are/have tested you are in for a surprise. They are bad a z z. I cannot give you tire numbers. They don’t have any. I would
Not be surprised if a Hoosier wins it.

A friend of mine has been running the new Hoosier TD tire successfully, they are slightly less forgiving than the Big bubbas he used to run. The biggest issue he had at first was wheelies from not enough wheel speed, but he was able to tune that out.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
What you don't want to do is "Over Tire" a car.

Oh hell no...you can kill several tenths by over-sizing the tire on a hardtail. The smaller the engine/lower the class the worst it becomes. Tall and thin with the tire used to be the rule..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
If it’s a 15 x 15 wheel, I’d try the MT 3080. We have two hard tail slip joint chassis and the tire works really well with a 555 bbc running 4.8x’s.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 607 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
If it’s a 15 x 15 wheel, I’d try the MT 3080. We have two hard tail slip joint chassis and the tire works really well with a 555 bbc running 4.8x’s.

I have been 6.95/194 on that 3080 so far on a suspended. Good tire although I'm struggling to push my 60's down under 1.03 without shaking. Mines a tricky combo for that though. Those tires need a beadlock.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6441 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
Hard tails love MT stiff side wall tires. I run a hard tail altered and when I switched to MT's it was a whole new ball game. My racing bud with a hard tail dragster did the same thing and loves them. You won't be sorry for making the investment. Remember, stiff side walls...

PM sent.