DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Radial or bias ply?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Radial or bias ply?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think the big & small M/T radials are crazy fast and consistent R/T - ET. I've seen it on time slips mid 5 second sbc 2500 lb car that is usually on a bias tire. Usually a tenth slower and a hair less consistent.

Dude put radials on it, went a tenth faster and it carbon copied time slips, until the run the track apparently wasn't the same, and it slowed a couple hundredths out of nowhere, something the car won't do on a bias.

4 or 5 runs in a row, it carbon copied time slips a couple thou.

I suspect with Ohlins on it, adjusted perfect, it might not have the one bad time slip.

Orlando smooth as glass well prepped surface.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
How is the sidewall durability on the Radial tires?
Have a friend that runs a heavy car with small tire 9x29???? I think he said he only gets about 50 passes before sidewalls and reaction times are done.

Myself and everyone else told him when he was building it to back half it and run a big tire but he would not. Now he cries about sidewalls going away or if track prep is not just right he claims track is junk. We just tell him that is why we told you to back half it.

Wondering if radials would work better for him.

Sidewall durability is one of the main reasons I switched. I used to get 50-100 runs depending on tire & the sidewall would be shyt. Now I get 150+ runs with no signs of giving up. This was mainly done with 9x29.5 Hoosier radials, but have a set of 10.5x29.5 M/T PBRs on now with 100+ runs. Car is a high 9 sec. @ 3050 lbs. with a transbrake.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2587 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think on a not as smooth as glass surface like Immokolee as example, if you have 300 Super Pro cars going down the track, radials work good too, as the rubber laid down makes the track smooth where it needs to be, for the radial to work.

In other words if you have a lot of cars in the race, the M/T radial tire works good anywhere.

To use it perfectly (get on a roll winning), you might have to take a step back to take a step forward.

In other words you might get skinned up in competition for a bit, until you can get everything ironed out (adjustments).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post