DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Peeling clear coat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peeling clear coat
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Any painter people on here who can advise on a product, or procedure, that removes flaking clear coat? Obviously without hurting the paint....I'd like to apply a silicone-based wax over the paint afterward....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pressure washer....Otherwise carefully with fine sand paper.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Al stated exactly word for word what 3 painters have told me. Seems 90's and early 2000's there was an issue with clear. Everything we have that is in that year range or painter then has a problem with clear.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Last year, I took my 05 Ram through the car wash and watched a big sheet of clear blow off the hood when it got to the dryer. You might get a decent start helping a peeler shed the clear by going through an aggressive washing/drying. good luck.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 110 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Very very dificult to remove without tearing up basecoat worked for GM in the 90s did way to many to count try high pressure spray or air may take some off we use razor blades-not a good deal for saving base color-good luck

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 408 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've always just blown it off with an air hose. It doesn't stop flaking though and whatever you do, if you decide to repaint it, strip it down to bare metal before you do.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say, it's probably toast.
There is absolutely no way to substitute clearcoat with a wax.
I spent nearly 30 yrs of my life playing myth busters within the autobody field and nothing will last longer than a car wash or three. Seriously, I've tried it all.
Certain colors will look better longer than others but the end result is always the same.

Post a pic or two, lets see what we're dealing with.

I recently helped a buddy with a peeling GMC hood and roof, dark metalic green. He prepped it and I shot it with the cheapest products we could find, in a barn !!!. I just saw it the other day for the first time and it looks damn good outside Eek

With a little effort it can be fixed decent .

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post