Bracket Talk
Dzus fasteners

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/6647087796

January 02, 2022, 11:59 AM
fordracer9326
Dzus fasteners
This is probably a silly question, but I don’t know. Someone please enlighten me. What is the correct way to measure a dzus fasteners length?
January 02, 2022, 12:31 PM
Big Steve
This link should help you
https://www.specialty-fastener...-FASTENERS-s/248.htm
January 02, 2022, 01:12 PM
Larry Woodfin
And another tip. After many years of installing and working with them, I like the hex [Allen head] in either countersunk or rounded head.

Larry Woodfin

January 02, 2022, 02:03 PM
Alaskaracer
Have you ever had any issue of those rounding out the holes? I have slotted ones but they can be a pain in the you know what....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
January 02, 2022, 03:00 PM
Cashflow
Mark,

I like the steel hex head and have had no issues with them rounding out. Would never go back to the screwdriver type.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
January 02, 2022, 03:16 PM
1320racer
Slotted dzus fasteners have been the cause of many scratches on show quality paint jobs for decades unless you had/have a wrap. Laughing very hard
January 02, 2022, 05:07 PM
pivotdoc
A little off topic but has anyone ran the push button type dzus fasteners? I have them on a fglass body and a little nervous if they’re reliable???
January 02, 2022, 06:50 PM
Big Steve
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
A little off topic but has anyone ran the push button type dzus fasteners? I have them on a fglass body and a little nervous if they’re reliable???

I have seen a bunch being used on the nose of a dragster. Never seen a nose fly off if that helps
January 03, 2022, 05:53 AM
wideopen231
I have sockethead or allen dzus that are aluminum. Not to worry with these you will break them before stripping them, Thats down side to the aluminum ones. With steel I would imagine neither stripping nor near as much breaking would be issue.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
January 03, 2022, 11:49 AM
jenavet
I was just about to order 75 of them in assorted sizes and didnt realize you measure to the top of the lock not the tip of the dzus.

Also i was about to order the slotted maybe i should try the hex style,save my paint job lol
January 03, 2022, 12:18 PM
1320racer
Mike, order the hex
January 03, 2022, 12:26 PM
jenavet
quote:
Mike, order the hex

have you used the washers as well?? looks like they will save paint also
January 03, 2022, 12:26 PM
329L
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Slotted dzus fasteners have been the cause of many scratches on show quality paint jobs for decades unless you had/have a wrap. Laughing very hard

Dont worry, ive fooked up good/show quality wraps with screw drivers too

Jeremiah Hall
January 03, 2022, 12:57 PM
1320racer
Laughing Hard

quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
Mike, order the hex

I use the plastic washers from Intensity Racing Products aka Phil Smida S/C, S/G and S/ST division 3 racer.
January 03, 2022, 07:31 PM
DragRaceResults

https://dragracesolutions.com/...astener-measurement/

www.dragraceresults.com
January 04, 2022, 12:32 PM
nomad
I converted my entire car to the hex type a few years ago. I use a 3/16" ball end T-driver on them.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781
January 04, 2022, 06:06 PM
TOP38
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Laughing Hard

quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
Mike, order the hex

I use the plastic washers from Intensity Racing Products aka Phil Smida S/C, S/G and S/ST division 3 racer.

Although the washers help the paint issues, it's not a fix all solution. The best way to fix this problem is to have a set of Dzus fasteners that are turned down a bit that are used just for painting, then there is no paint under the full size Dzus to chip off and it's large enough to cover all the bare area!
January 06, 2022, 07:41 AM
Mike Nitzsche
Using correct Dzus tools will rarely scratch or slip. My wife and I have scratched it though using screw drivers.....just like dragging the battery charger.....lol. I like the idea of slotted Dzus's mainly for the fact that if there is a time sensitive catastrophe, more than one person usually has something to turn them.
January 06, 2022, 10:27 AM
Lenny5160
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I like the idea of slotted Dzus's mainly for the fact that if there is a time sensitive catastrophe, more than one person usually has something to turn them.

That’s my thought as well.

I’ve done far more scratching while trying to do top panels by myself than with a tool slipping out of the fastener.

Tony Leonard