DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alcohol 4500 build?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol 4500 build?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
A few years ago I bought all the parts to convert a Dominator to alcohol. I think I got hung up on if I needed dual needle/seat bowls or not...In the last few years, I've seen several regular Holley bowl 4500 running alcohol. So I'm now of the opinion I don't need the dual bowls. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the little things I was going to have to do to make all these parts work together. I seem to remember there were a couple of people on the board here that did these conversions.... Could I get someone to chime in here or pm me please?

I'm interested in the less expensive fuel cost, running cooler and any HP increase is a bonus..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4471 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave, a few years ago there was a web site about carbs that contained very good, very detailed information and carb work. It was eventually discontinued but every now and then I see a clip about it. I think parts of it are still on the web. I will try to find it.

Also, on Don Terrell's Speed Talk, a fellow maned "Tuner" post often and was part of that board. Consider reaching out to him. He might have some links from that original board.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave, I posted a question on speed talk about the original site I mentioned. If some information is posted I will forward to you.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave, you are correct that up to around 1100 horse, a single set of .150" needles will do the job. Beyond that, generally two carbs are used or some form of injection.

I do not see any dual needle setups these days.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave, the name of the site was "Innovative Motorsports" but looks like it is gone. Maybe Tuner will have some information.

Also, consider Mark at Lightening carbs.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Mark Whitener (aka: jmarkaudio) and tuner are good friends. Get into contact with Mark and he'll take care of you with this. He builds custom carbs on the side and will give you advice on what do to so it's right. His carbs are branded Lightning Racing Carbs. Mark and Tuner both are good people with a ton of knowledge.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1472 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I bolted Mark’s alky carb on and set the idle speed. Worked like a dream.

Engine builder wanted me to use a gas carb for S/C so Mark built me one. Same thing, bolted it on, set the idle.

Now, if he could just teach me to drive I’d be just fine.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
https://www.tapatalk.com/group...itishqueen/index.php

HOLT COW.....I could make NO sense of that website Larry....what was I supposed to see?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4471 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave, it is a closed, no reply site but it is full of information. Open the link, scroll down, pick out a topic that interest you, click on it.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
OHHH,,,,I thought it was a site that gives instructions on how to convert a 4500 to alcohol...

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That information is most likely there. Carefully scan the post headings.

Larry Woodfin