DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Stall converter not making rpms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stall converter not making rpms
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I have a new combo in a 74 . I checked the stall with the chip out and it stalled at 5500. The car revs great setting still and sounds great. Now when I tested it,seems like it's only going to the 5500 stall and staying there and wouldn't make anymore power. It was a turd, does that sound like the converter is bad?

Posts: 216 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
without much more info about the combo all you'll get it guesses as you yourself are guessing what is actually happening from the launch on. If you don't have a playback tach get one so you actually KNOW what the the flash and drop back RPM is. Better yet buy a Racepak Sportsman Data Logger from Greg Kelly...

http://www.motorsportsinnovati...acepak-sportsman.htm

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
**EDIT**

Either it could be the stator tube is spun on the pump, or if its a sprag/diode converter, than the converter is hurt, most likely.

I have also seen bad crank trigger/ distrubuter pick ups do that too, along with a plugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. Go over the eniter car before you spend alot of time and money assuming something.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 329L,

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 728 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
I have a new combo in a 74 . I checked the stall with the chip out and it stalled at 5500. The car revs great setting still and sounds great. Now when I tested it,seems like it's only going to the 5500 stall and staying there and wouldn't make anymore power. It was a turd, does that sound like the converter is bad?

Need a LOT more information about the term "new combo".

What's new, what's old, what did it do before, and why was the converter worked on?
Did you change engine / trans / gear / and converter all at once?

Did you add 800 lbs.? Confused

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Converter guy is going to say your engine doesn't make the HP you said it does first.

If it stalls 5500 but your HP peaked at 5400, it will accelerate slowly, it's too loose.

If you were looking for 6200 stall and are only getting 5500, you're low on HP, or it's too tight, and will accelerate slowly.

Etc....etc.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
If that was the case,your shift point would not have exceeded 5500!!...And should have been at that rpm out the gate........

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have a budddy that had a similar issue years ago that forgot the cam was a 4-7 swap when he reassembled everything.... it would not come up on converter.

Posts: 142 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I stated to the OP

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
without much more info about the combo all you'll get it guesses

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Data acquisition help me find a broke converter. Slowed up .10 and very consistent. Changed everything. Data showed me what was really going on.

I am inclined to say slipping sprag in converter if it has one.

ep

Posts: 776 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Without accurate data at this point it's no more than a guess, so I'll (guess and) go with the theory that this is a damaged sprag. That's happened to me.

Bob

Posts: 3156 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post