Find
Notify
Tools

crank trigger ?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at crank trigger setups. Seems two triggers. One with most applications is big looks like .750 dia. threaded piece and one it maybe .375 dia. piece that fits in side baracket with set screw.

Opinions on which is better. I know with A/fuel we use the smaller one and seem fairly durable. Bigger one have no experience with.

Better of two and why?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4332 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you experience tire shake the bigger one would withstand the shake/vibration better.

Bob

Posts: 3125 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
rprogas,

That from experience or opinion?

Asking because we have not had one brake on A/fuel car and know of lot of TA/FC cars running smaller one. I can promise you many can out tire shake a alcohol funny car. We have had some pretty stout shake on A/fuel car just not as felt by driver.
Mainly concerned about dependable operation.

I did find some good add on pieces for crank trigger. One is switchable piece from FIE that allow switching from trigger back to regular system and if power off it kills ignition, Last part of interest since have mag and main power off will not kill engine. Being able to just switch back to base system would be helpful if trigger screws up and no time to swap out.

Posts: 4332 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
So, what kind of crank trigger do you use? A flying magnet pickup (MSD 2 wire) or a gear tooth sensor (steel wheel) (3 wire)?

PS the gear tooth will withstand 15g's from 40 Hz to 2 kHz.

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1301 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Right now no crank trigger. Looking at flying magnet. Wish could find correct magnets. I have same degree wheel on crank hub already. Would be super easy to machine magnets in.

Trying to decide crank trigger now and grid late or grid first. Finally got some cash flow and noit sure about letting go of some too quick. Little late in life to become conservative on spending money. LOL