Find
Notify
Tools

Lithium or not?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted
I feel like the Lithium batteries have progressed enough that I may consider them. I have been using a D1600 for years without issue but the fast re-charge of the lithium does peak my interest.

I am not so much concerned with weight savings but more about fast charging for the double entries.

What are the thoughts of people who have made the change? I know the boss here runs a Altronics I believe. I would be looking at them or Go Lithium.

Also one or two with a alternator?

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
If you do not need the weight savings it is hard to beat a D1600 with a properly working alternator. I use the D1600 with a House of Payne alternator and charging the battery is optional - even when double entered in my bracket s10.

Regarding lithium, I ran a Braille battery in my TS car with a House of Payne alternator with no issue. And I never push or pull my car to the lanes or back from the run.

FYI - I "think" the Go Lithium requires modifications to standard alternators.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
save your money simply

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted December 13, 2023 03:12 PM Hide Post
save your money

Unless you recently won a lottery or received a large inheritance check, save your money. The cost of a lithium battery and the charger VS the performance gain (weight reduction) is not worth the expense.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I always run an alternator if possible. As for 16 volt standard battery they go dead faster than a 12 volt. They spin over faster for sure but go dead quicker especially in later rounds. Ask me how I know. I think the Lithium is even worse about going dead quickly. Not worth it to me. The weight does not matter one bit if it does not start your car in final round. Save your money unless you are trying to save every little bit of weight. Many people running the lithium batteries are running two probably to help make sure it starts every time.

On my green car Dan had bought two new XS Power 16 volt batteries so I am using them on that car and I now have an alternator on it. On my personal car I have went back to 12 volt system after running 16 volt for years on my dragster. By the way my Dragster had an alternator to and it still did not start once in later rounds.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Simple solution to address your charging concerns and say you a bunch of money!

Use a slave battery (not in the car) to run the fan and water pump while your charging the car battery with no draw on it! I run a small 12v battery in the nose of my dragster with an alternator. When I double or it's Africa hot and they round robin the late rounds, I use an old battery to run the fan and water pump, wired a separate plug o the car side of the on/off switch so in the off position the charger will charge the car battery and the slave battery runs the fan and water pump. Works great.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:

Use a slave battery (not in the car) to run the fan and water pump while your charging the car battery with no draw on it! I run a small 12v battery in the nose of my dragster with an alternator. When I double or it's Africa hot and they round robin the late rounds, I use an old battery to run the fan and water pump, wired a separate plug o the car side of the on/off switch so in the off position the charger will charge the car battery and the slave battery runs the fan and water pump. Works great.

I have both my bracket and TS cars wired this way and it definitely works / helps. I used it all the time on the TS car.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the record, I don't have charging issues and never have using a D1600 for 10 years. I was just looking at the fast charging properties of lithium. It is for sure faster than charging a AGM.

Curly, your the only I have seen that says this about 16v. If everyone had those isuues, no one would run them.....

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it matters at all, I won’t be going 16 volt lithium on my new build.. staying 12v agm

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
I've seen too many things with lithium batteries burn completely down that I wouldn't even consider one. Not just the car but trailer and everything in it, I'll pass...

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I used Braille 16 volt lithium for a while. Basically I saw that it went dead quickly without warning. They say a full recharge can be done in 25 minutes but I never saw that happen. They cannot be charged while running a load and fully discharging them is problematic as polarity can reverse possibly. Cold temps also presented issues with the battery performing properly and holding a load. Too much money and too many issues for me for little gain. A 16v agm is my preference and I can run a slave with it agm to agm and not worry over anything catching on fire lol

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
I used Braille 16 volt lithium for a while. Basically I saw that it went dead quickly without warning. They say a full recharge can be done in 25 minutes but I never saw that happen. They cannot be charged while running a load and fully discharging them is problematic as polarity can reverse possibly. Cold temps also presented issues with the battery performing properly and holding a load. Too much money and too many issues for me for little gain. A 16v agm is my preference and I can run a slave with it agm to agm and not worry over anything catching on fire lol

Thanks, I am going to stay with what has worked for over 10 years. (D1600) I thought I would ask the question to get some real world answers and you basically confirmed my thoughts.

I never had a problem with my old car and a 50amp Ultra Mini and now on the new car I have a 120 amp Mini Alternator. And no matter what I always put the car on the charger after every run.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busted Knuckles:
I've seen too many things with lithium batteries burn completely down that I wouldn't even consider one. Not just the car but trailer and everything in it, I'll pass...
X100…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
NOT!!!

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
go lithium for the win

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Hard to justify spending $500+ on a charger, $1000+ for a battery when there is not only zero gain to be had, but at the risk of sudden catastrophic fire, sudden failure, and crap like that. AGM batteries, whether you prefer 12v or 16v have been around a long time, and are proven, not to mention substantially less expensive, and generally readily available. The racer store at Bandimere speedway sold both 12v and 16v batteries....so you were covered either way. I get it, they are all the rage right now...don't care.....there are a hell of a lot of other things you can get with the money you save by not buying one on your car that will net you gains.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Like most everything in life good and bad. Good light weight, Cost bad, If you are running light weight and it goes bad you either have to have backup battery or replace it with something heavier that may not fit the same space or mount.
If can have a backup and one in the car and money noit issue. Run the lightweight lithium.

I would rather have other itmes with difference in cost.JMO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:

For the record, I don't have charging issues and never have using a D1600 for 10 years. I was just looking at the fast charging properties of lithium. It is for sure faster than charging a AGM.

Curly, your the only I have seen that says this about 16v. If everyone had those isuues, no one would run them.....

You stated you were looking for faster battery charges when you double up!!! But you state no issues charging now. HMMMM

What I stated above will allow you to charge your battery faster an it's simple and cost effective. For the slave battery, I use the old one form my car after 3 or 4 years of use. You don't need a killer slave battery to run the fan and water pump.

The bracket racers using Lithium batteries that I know of need 2 in the car (not sure which ones they use, weigh about 8 lbs each), one will not make it in the late rounds even with an alternator.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
$1500 to save 35 pounds? In what universe does that make any sense?

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
NOT! Been using red tops for along time. Just replaced 2 that where 7 year’s old , still tested good but did not want a problem hot lapping. I need the extra weight in the truck , haha

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post