DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New Build Must Haves
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Build Must Haves
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Tossing around the idea of building new dragster and looking for input on what everyone thinks or likes now a days for must haves. Don't need recommendations for a chassis builder as I already know what direction that is going. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 203 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Front suspension
Air compressor
Dual calipers/hand brake
Interior power shut off (pretty sure they are standard on most cars now)

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The hand brake is one of handiest [no pun intended] things we installed. It is very nice for unloading in an easily controlled manor and other controlling when pushing the car.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1861 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just had a new car built by American. We put some pretty neat stuff on it.

1. Hand brake
2. dual brakes
3. air compressor
4. float with light in the fuel cell
5. telescoping steering wheel. Helps get in and out of the car as well for other drivers.
6. dual and single chute brackets
7. Headlights (LED)
8. Driver interior panels
9. Interior LED lights
10. Starter bump buttons in the back trans panels
11. Belly pan

Posts: 105 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/C718:

11. Belly pan

Is this belly pan to take the place of a diaper?

Posts: 2612 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You can use it instead of the diaper. I still put the diaper on as well.

Posts: 105 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by S/C718:

11. Belly pan

Is this belly pan to take the place of a diaper?

You are required to have either or. Carbon belly pan on a dragster is a no brainer IMO

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have all eleven on my new one. I would also add pull out handles! Makes it much easier for us older gentlemen to get out. lol
Sorry correction only ten. I don't have telescoping steering.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Light inside fuel tank

Roller wheels on chassis at low spots

Remote bump switches or remote click in trigger with long cable so you can lay under and bump the starter for the convertor bolts

Clip on front nose, not dzus

Dual brakes with hand brake

If you can stomach the cost, go ahead and put a floater rear on it

ISP padding tabs

Transmission and engine pans

Get out handles

Adjustable steering

Air compressor

Wing tabs

Tabs for swing arm and 4 link in case you ever change your mind about which you prefer

Bull horns in front of firewall

If you are concerned about weight, ignore most of this lol

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I did forget the ISP padding. It takes a time to get used to it.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
And hold onto your wallet. Everything is 30% higher or more than it was 3 years ago

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
If you are concerned about weight, ignore ALL of this lol

Quoted for the truth with editing.

Bottom line is you either build to run quick & fast or you build for ease and comfort. That’s why there are dragsters today that weigh over 2000 lbs. with driver and others that weigh less than 1800 lbs. with driver yet they appear to look the same.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My 2006 M&M has most of these features and a bunch of chrome. With an iron block it weighs right at 1700# ready to go, without driver. I only go about 160# myself.

The one thing I don't have is dual brakes/handbrake, but it was built at the time when NHRA was confiscating handles in tech. I wish I had that now.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:
weigh less than 1800 lbs.

Roll Eyes

Best thing I did was add "bull horns" you wouldn't believe how clean the car stays!

Posts: 2142 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes less than 1800 lbs. I personally know of several.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

The one thing I don't have is dual brakes/handbrake, but it was built at the time when NHRA was confiscating handles in tech. I wish I had that now.

That never made any sense, dual brakes and separate master cylinder is much safer in my opinion.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
If you are concerned about weight, ignore ALL of this lol

Quoted for the truth with editing.

Bottom line is you either build to run quick & fast or you build for ease and comfort. That’s why there are dragsters today that weigh over 2000 lbs. with driver and others that weigh less than 1800 lbs. with driver yet they appear to look the same.

Millers Dragster weighed 1560LBS with him in it and that was a 252 wheel base. He never won a race with it, gave up racing because he sucks so bad at it.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Miller was never a bracket racer, he was a wannabe go fast guy and his former comp car was never a bracket racer.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
My new car is at paint now. I had this same question so they sent me the Ultra deluxe package and said delete what you don't want. I never knew all of the Shyt that I "needed". It all comes at a cost in dollars and weight though.

I bracket race so I want comfort although the one thing I see listed here repeatedly is air tank. I opted to go all electric and use the grid as SLE.

I had air tank on my Mullis and never used it for the tires so I went without it.

Posts: 637 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Have self contained ****pit with AC. The tractors in the fields have them,

Posts: 1922 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post