DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BBC Valve Cover Recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC Valve Cover Recommendations?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
Not being lazy, just overwhelmed with too many thousands to choose from, so I am hoping some among y'all can share info on your choice.

Looking for recommendations with the following criteria:
1. Conventional BBC heads.
2. Cast or Fabricated, don't care.
3. MUST have a removable cap/fitting to add oil. (Even if it is a bolted-on vacuum pump fitting, as long as it is removable from outside).
4. Planning to add a vac pump setup, currently do not have one. Would like covers that can be adapted for use both ways. Or, covers with vac fitting that can be securely capped off.
5. If fabbed style, prefer ones that use 7 long bolts.
6. Must have a good solid flange/flat sealing surface, no leakers wanted.
7. Not really into paying $800-$1,000 for valve covers, but I do prefer paying a fair price for USA-made units.

Had a buddy bring over a pair of "offshore" fabbed covers. They actually looked fairly nice, and seemed to meet all my requirements, but before I grabbed my wallet, I noticed the tops of the 14 bolt holes were not flat/smooth. They were small, circular welds. Pretty-looking beads, (possibly machine welded)? But I didn't see any way that a bolt head, or a flat washer, could possibly seal those openings. Even if they didn't leak out any oil, they seemed certain to be a source of vacuum leaks. I don't know if they forgot to spot-face the bolt hole welds, or if that is the way they sell them. But I wasn't buying. The time or cost to fix them would have made it a bad choice.

Thanks in advance, -Jim.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1040 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
Moroso! You can add penetrations for whatever you need for your set-up

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/mor-68463

We did a set of these Moroso covers. They needed a little "adjusting" on the holes, but are a nice set for the money.

Added a set of ARP studs and it all looks good.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The ones Biondo sells are very nice, I have bought 2 sets. Sometimes they have blems and you can save a few bucks

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We're in the market as well BBC. I see nothing noting these are Made in USA so I can only presume Chinese or Mexican garbage. That's not gonna happen if they're a dollar for a set.

Tf they're getting $300 for them, they have around $20 in manufacturing them.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Got a set of Comp Cams cast units, they use studs and nuts but you could switch to long bolts if you wanted. They're solid so you can do what you want to them. They will clear Jesel's so anything else should be good too. Brand new in the box to someone's door for $85 shipped.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chasracer,

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
Love the fabricated Williams Performance BBC valve covers that came on my 565 from SunsetRaceCraft. Thick billet rails, quality welds, spot faced hold down areas, and polish up nicely by hand I might add.

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbletop409:
Love the fabricated Williams Performance BBC valve covers that came on my 565 from SunsetRaceCraft. Thick billet rails, quality welds, spot faced hold down areas, and polish up nicely by hand I might add.

TU sir.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Biondo. Great fit, great value.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would get a cast set as they are usually flat, solid and seal better. With vacuum pumps we have now you do not want the old thin stamped metal style. I would go to EBay and see what they have. That is where I got mine and they are nice.

And get tall ones to clear all valve train.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I went to look at the Comp Cams valve covers and stumbled across these.

Geez, I had no Idea they were financing valve covers.

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
It pains me to admit it but I've been using Ebay $80 fabricated aluminum covers for a few years now with no problems. I don't remove the valve covers very often but they have stayed warp free for at least 3 yrs. No leaks using a 1/4" cork gasket.

I anticipated a short life expectancy so I bought two sets, still got a new set in the box lol

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a blue fel-pro rubber gasket with a steel core and crank em down, they're not gonna leak at all, even if they are warped.

That would be the least to worry about with chinese garbage.

I'm pretty sure Trump has a reason for saying buy American. It's probably a pretty serious reason by now too.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
pricey but billet Moroso VC's are nice..... Manton makes billet as well

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1520 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Some times you will find those $80 ones are good as most. So much Chinese repackaging till it aint funny Wink

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Some times you will find those $80 ones are good as most. So much Chinese repackaging till it aint funny Wink

As an added bonus you can now finance valvecovers!

"Giant sucking sound"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t trade my Rodeck valve covers for anything on the market. Even had some guys come by my pit and take pictures of them.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
been running the 80.00 chinesse for 7 yrs now no leaks and run a star machine vac pump also would buy another set in a heart beat

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Chrome ebay here. Less than 100 and have held up fine. The chrome is pretty cheap though.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I really like the look of the but they are very proud of them.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrol...09/12371244/10002/-1

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post