Bracket Talk
2005 Duramax pushing water out the overflow

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/6417037296

February 28, 2020, 07:20 AM
banjo
2005 Duramax pushing water out the overflow
Hello all,

Looking for some advice, truck is pushing water out the overflow which means blown head gasket or worse. It's not smoking out the exhaust and doesnt seem to be missing and starts fine.

So looking at my options,

1. Still waiting for quotes, but I am hearing that headgasket run in the $3000-$4000+ range to get repaired. Is it worth dumping that much money into a truck that is only worth between $5000-7000 running?

2. Attempt the repair myself. I been all though a sbc, but have never been into a diesel, so I dont know all the nuances associated with it. Should I even consider this? Not to mention the time associated with the repair.

3. Trade it in, I will probably get pennies on the dollar, but I can get me into a newer truck.

Let me hear your opinions.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

February 28, 2020, 07:29 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
Got to be a complete piece of junk to not be worth no more than that....they are bringing STUPID MONEY right now....I cracked a piston on my 07’...I spent a small fortune on it with brand new motor....but bought a motorhome to...an still came out cheaper than a brand new truck..
February 28, 2020, 07:57 AM
BP758
Have you tried a new GM rad cap? I know it sounds strange but I’ve seen it.. cheap try .. I hope it’s not the gaskets..

Raceless in California!
February 28, 2020, 08:14 AM
banjo
Truck had been sitting a couple of days and I jumped in it to run to lowes. May be a 10 minute ride and it was pushing coolant out. Coolant hoses were cool to the touch but rock hard. Everything I have read, it's pretty clear.

Thanks

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

February 28, 2020, 09:18 AM
Canted Valve
Sounds pretty cut and dried as far as the source of the problem. But you can know for sure with the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Block-T...id=1582902764&sr=8-3

A good old pressure/leakdown on the cylinders might be a more immediate and cheaper test. Don't believe I'd drive it anymore without fixing it (one way or the other). The cutting/torch effect has to be high with the compression of a diesel (but I don't know). Good luck!

Illegitimi non carborundum
February 28, 2020, 10:48 AM
Ken MacNicol
I had mine done 2 years ago, because I did not have the room to tear it down . The place that did it would not do it with out putting in studs and sending the heads out to be checked. And yes I think it was worth the money.
February 28, 2020, 10:49 AM
rs72z
Head gasket probably. 05's were known for that.

You can do it yourself, just pretty labor intensive! Have the heads surfaced for sure.

How many miles on the truck? Crew cab? Dually?
February 28, 2020, 01:06 PM
banjo
Truck has 190k. It is a 2500 extended cab.

Been reading up on it, doesnt look like anything over complicated. Studs and having the heads checked out is definitely a given.

I am thinking I will take it on.

Appreciate all the advice thus far. Keep it coming.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

February 28, 2020, 04:50 PM
Rookieman
It probably is a blown head gasket but I would also check the thermostat. I have seen a stuck thermostat cause the water to blow out of the overflow.
February 29, 2020, 07:15 AM
wideopen231
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:

Been reading up on it, doesnt look like anything over complicated. Studs and having the heads checked out is definitely a given.

A buddy of mine thought same thing about a 06 with head gasket issues. His reasoning was cost and fact that he is farmer and winter down time for him. After doing it he said yea cheaper by ton,but understands why cost so much for mechanic to do it also.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
February 29, 2020, 08:32 PM
WHOMPWHOMP
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:

A 2006 with 177k...Florida truck zero rust sold today for 19,995....
February 29, 2020, 09:51 PM
mavman
Our old shop truck was a 2007. 3500 duramax, 117,000 miles. We put a ton of money into it (injunktors, turbo, wiring harnesses, pumps, water pump, and some transmission work) and later sold the truck with 118,000 for $5500-and it sat in front of the building with a BIG for sale sign in it, 65,000 cars passing it every day, for 5 months. Either nobody wants a durmax (in this area) or those that do didn't see it. After our ordeal, I sure don't want one. Putting close to 20,000 worth of repairs into a $5500 truck is ridiculous but I'm sure the boss was able to deduct some of it. Replacement is a F250, 6.2L. No problems. Pulls fine for what we use it for. Currently showing 89,000mi and change-bought with a little over 50,000mi. Oil changes and regular maintenance; and it costs less than half of that isuzu did to maintain.

If I ever wear out my old 7.3 I will replace it with a gas engine.
March 01, 2020, 02:22 PM
Woody B
I've put head gaskets on a BUNCH of them over the years. It's a lot of work, but no magic. There's different thickness head gaskets. Put the same thickness back that came off. The thickness is based on deck height. It's possible to do a 2005 in the truck but I'd either remove the engine or raise the cab.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.
March 01, 2020, 05:41 PM
BJs Wild Ride
I did my 03 in my garage. Needed injectors and head gaskets. Pretty sure it had a cup leaking that was the major source of coolant pushing out but I had already decided I was pulling the motor to get the heads off. Heads were out about .005 so I don’t think the cup would have fixed it entirely.

An 03 is a little different than an 05, but it was rough. 42 hours of my labor plus the machine shop refurbing the heads. I had a few hours in rework on the way back together because i didn’t take good enough pictures or take any notes on order of operations. Couple hours was the water pump too. Probably didn’t need to do that but the internet convinced me i had to.
March 01, 2020, 05:52 PM
banjo
So I borrowed by buddies dually to move my trailer today and it definitely makes me want one. So now I am thinking of trying to sell it broke and just use that money as a down payment on a newer truck. I have been wanting a dually for a while. KBB values it at about $9000 running. Figure If I could get 4000-5000 out of it, and put it down on a new truck, it would be alot less hassle if I can sell. Be a steal for someone who has the time and energy to do it themselves.

opinions?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

March 01, 2020, 06:59 PM
Bucky
Diesels kinda concern me ownership wise. My tractor and motorhome are. Tractor is pretty straight forward for repairs. Motorhome if you dust a cylinder it's about a total if it has any age to it. Which means you are out any value you have in it. I have avoided getting a diesel truck since I have just heard too many of these stories. One of my employees has a Dodge that is probably worth less than $5k. It needled him out of about $6k total last year. They sure pull nicely, but a gasser gets everything I need it to do, done.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
March 02, 2020, 06:25 AM
BP758
Did any of these head gasket failures have tuners?

Raceless in California!
March 02, 2020, 06:53 AM
Woody B
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Did any of these head gasket failures have tuners?

I used to work at a Chevy dealership. I done a bunch of head gaskets. Only 1 had a tuner. A vast majority of them had some kind of coolant leak before the head gasket failure. The one in the picture I posted earlier had a leaking water pump. Customer drove it from Alabama back to NC before getting it repaired. They said they kept stopping and topping off the coolant. That doesn't work. Air pockets, and lack of pressure cause localized hot spots/boiling when there's a leak.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.
March 02, 2020, 07:10 AM
BP758
Oh yeah! PM on the cooling system. That dex coolant will eat gaskets and alum if not serviced. I’m lucky I have two of the best on the Coast out here to ask. One is still with Corporate GM Tech. They fly/drive him everywhere.

Raceless in California!
March 02, 2020, 11:24 AM
Mike Nitzsche
I bought a one owner LLY Duramax cheap. Within a week I realized it needed head gaskets. I pulled the cab, did gaskets, injection pump, injectors, water pump, stainless brake and fuel lines. I had to have the heads milled as it eroded one fire ring area. Truck still runs awesome to this day at 300K.