Bracket Talk
454 BBC education

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/6387086286

February 16, 2019, 06:31 PM
Larry Woodfin
454 BBC education
I am out of the loop in ref to BBC.

My first desire is to find a nice, standard bore, four bolt, 454 block that will run standard with a.001 - .002 hone.

Beyond that, other than the original Mark IV design, what other BBC blocks will accept common BB parts

Larry Woodfin

February 16, 2019, 07:33 PM
green1
Pretty sure until you get to Gen V and Gen VI everything interchanges and in the two I mention not sure of Gen V but Gen VI has one piece rear main seal so crank is different but you can buy adapter to two piece seal style crank in one piece style block. Also cam cover is different along with oil pan.
February 16, 2019, 07:57 PM
Tom396
Factory 454s are "externally" balanced. This means you have to use a harmonic balancer and flexplate/flywheel that is intended for them. 396s and 427s were internally balanced, so their balancers and flexplates are neutrally balanced. 454s CAN be internally balanced, but they didn't come straight from the factory that way. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
February 17, 2019, 07:26 AM
Busted Knuckles
I have found 3 of the Gen 6 variety that all cleaned up with a torque plate hone at .005 over, found a few pistons on the interweb that fit. I've never seen a Mark IV that would do that, too much fuel wash down/wear on the bores.

An adapter is available to convert the crank seal to 2-piece

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.
February 17, 2019, 04:19 PM
HS professor
quote:
I have found 3 of the Gen 6 variety that all cleaned up with a torque plate hone at .005 over, found a few pistons on the interweb that fit. I've never seen a Mark IV that would do that, too much fuel wash down/wear on the bores.

Mark IV stuff is getting old already lol. I've had good luck with propane run generator engines, usually painted blue. All the ones I've seen are 4 bolt,sonic test good and had minimal wear.
February 18, 2019, 03:08 AM
Larry Woodfin
Thanks to all for the notes. I have decided to buy a new Dart block.

Larry Woodfin

February 18, 2019, 07:56 AM
Curly1
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Thanks to all for the notes. I have decided to buy a new Dart block.

Good choice. That gives you a better block with more options later.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
February 18, 2019, 08:02 AM
wideopen231
New block probably better and cheaper in long run.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
February 18, 2019, 02:41 PM
Goob
Gen V and Gen VI blocks are useless for racing engines....different oil pans, oil pump, weird bypass deal in the filter pad, timing covers, and some other stuff I don't remember......Oh yeah, no provision for a block mount fuel pump.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
February 19, 2019, 10:31 AM
Busted Knuckles
Priority main oiling can be a big benefit.

And a few have fuel pump provision, only the crate engines/blocks, though.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.