Find
Notify
Tools

gear oil depth
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
How deep are you running rear end gear oil? Asking depth instead of volume because fabricated housing. Volume will not be same amount of gear in the oil. Probably minor difference performance

I generally run oil level up to about 1/3 of pinion . That way pinion bearing and spool bearings have oil and plenty on gears. This Housing takes a lot to get there. My bad on design. Thinking about putting some fillers in lower corners to reduce volume while keeping everything oiled. Plus if running to deep has to be extra drag.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Most differentials run the oil level to the bottom of the axle tube. A 9 inch, because of the lower position of the pinion, runs the oil level over the pinion center line. A 8 3/4 mopar just touches the large pinion bearing. (higher pinion). Since you are not running for hours on end, I would cover the ring gear with oil and send it.

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1310 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post