New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012 Yukon 5.3
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Daughters vehicle blew a heater hose and lost coolant. Replaced hose and added 4.0 gallons to overflow tank. Unable to locate filler on radiator. Started it and got up to temp to open thermostat. Checked tank and added @ 1 quart coolant. As she drives unit, should coolant level be checked daily, and will driving it "burp" the system?

Posts: 86 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Was this a factory replacement hose? if not , id be more worried about the pressure pushing the hose off at the fitting at the firewall. HMMMM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Frizie,

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 606 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was the hose that came from the "Y" on the firewall. I took the clamp off and put a new hose on the existing "Y". I put a hose clamp on the unit where the new hose went over the notched portion of the "Y".

Posts: 86 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s considered a “closed” system, as the the cap that Maintains pressure is on the reservoir , so once it’s full it should be ok. I would just check it after a test drive. After , that, should be ok. Just keep an eye on the hose. Hope this helps .

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 606 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. What's worse, these new vehicles are simply rolling laptops. Kids today don't know how to maintain or even maintenence checks on them. Even us older folks have problems. One thing for sure, I still change oil like the old days, can't wrap my head around 10,000 miles. Oh well, have a nice 4th of July, while we still have it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
"newer vehicle" it's over 10 years old. The changes are incredible over the last 20 years with vehicles and every year brings more.

Posts: 1525 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post