DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Advice on our powerglide troubles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on our powerglide troubles
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brandon@BTE:
I wish more dragsters were engineered

LIKE!

The trans just hangs on the rear motorplate doesn't it? Is a turbo so much wider it doesn't fit between the frame rails?

What I found Dave
A Powerglide and a TH400 do not vary much in width, but length difference will range from 18 inches on a dragster-style Powerglide to 28 inches in a door car. A TH400 with a standard 4-inch extension housing measures 29.5 inches, although there are rare cases where a TH400 could be 34.5 or 38.5 inches.
Short shaft glide is 25+
Long shaft glide is 27+

Not meant to derail TD6297
. So just driveshaft length? Unless it’s an older hardtail that doesn’t have a driveshaft.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave the TH400 is just a bit overall longer than a full length glide. The tail shaft mount is a bit more off between the two.
Like already mentioned the TH400 is about 1.5" longer.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2056 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
WAITING ON THE PRESSURE TEST RESULTS.....GOOD POST...NEED TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE....THANKS..

Posts: 65 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
Finally was able to run the car today. I have to wait till the weekends, with the neighbors and yesterday was fixing the leaking water pump so I could run the car today.

Found quite a bit though. That tire shake we had before with those other tires, backed off every bolt on the transmission. Not sure if that would cause anything or not, but one was the main ground wire. So everything was going through the small 10 ga wire from the battery to the electrical panel. So replaced all those and got the ground secure again. That does explain the electrical issues we had on that last pass as well.

Changed the oil in the transmission, and no particles in it, nothing on the magnet, and it did smell and look good on the dipstick. I dont have a gasket and the guy who repaired the transmission last really glued it on! So just changed the oil. I know there is no magnet in the pan as I have had it off before so just the one on the drain plug.

Ran the engine the same as when I was looking at the transmission after the last race, hard against the brake, then hard brake stands to get the oil hot. That is when first went away before. I had the gauge on it, and 225 when warm and fully hot oil was 200 at the servo. First never went away this time. So I really am not sure what happened last weekend. I dont know how the brake actually works, hydraulically. It was for sure not working with the electrical trouble, does it have any effect on first gear, or just engage reverse to lock the transmission.

Posts: 161 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
OH BOY,,,IT SEEMS TO WORK NOW....TRANS. BRAKE WORKS WHEN IN FIRST GEAR & REVERSE LOCKS BOTH TOGETHER BY THE SOLENOID...IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW IF THE BUILDER

AIR CHECKED FIRST,HIGH & REVERSE...THAT WAY YOU KNOW THAT EVERYTHING INSIDE THE CASE IS SEALED & WORKING..AFTER THAT IT'S THE VALVEBODY'S JOB TO MAKE THOSE GEARS

WORK...THE TIRE SHAKE DEAL..I WONDER IF THE FILTER CAME OFF OR LOOSE BOLTS MAYBE...SITTING ON THE STAND & GOING DOWN THE TRACK ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS...THE

LARGE MOPAR FILTERS DO FALL OFF...I USE BLUE LOCKTIGHT ON THOSE LITTLE BOLTS..I HAD A GUY THAT PUT 100 RUNS ON MY GLIDE..THEN TRANS. BRAKE DIDN'T WORK...GOT IT

OUT & TO MY SHOP...TOOK THE PAN OFF..GUESS WHAT WAS LAYING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN...MOPAR FILTER TOO....GOOD LUCK..

Posts: 65 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
The filter and gasket arrived so I took the pan off, and Don was right, the filter had fallen off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD6297,

Posts: 161 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
GLAD YOU FOUND IT....BACK TO RACING..

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
Yes, very relieved as it was all not making sense. Now that all the pieces of the puzzle were identified, that whole mess all makes sense now.