Bracket Talk
Delay box wiring for quick disconnect

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/6207041286

October 23, 2018, 08:23 PM
vega3410
Delay box wiring for quick disconnect
Looking for wiring diagram for quick disconnect to run no box. Currently have an elite 500. Push buttons go to ground.

In greed we trust...So where's my money at?
October 23, 2018, 10:05 PM
Eman
I have a different box but I used a round weatherpak connector. I have a jumper connector that plus into the car harness and jumps the transbrake button to the transbrake. I remove the box when I no box.
I looked at the wiring for your box and I see how it uses a ground for the TB button and then the box energizes the solenoid. I guess unless you use a button connected to power you could possibly use a relay.
October 23, 2018, 10:07 PM
markemark
Here’s how it’s best done. This hand drawing is a copy from OhioMafiaWiring original.

October 23, 2018, 10:12 PM
Eman
That diagram will work if you have both sides of your button connected to the delay box.
October 23, 2018, 10:18 PM
OhiomafiaWireGuy
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
That diagram will work if you have both sides of your button connected to the delay box.

And that’s what the diagram shows. The jumper from from ground to the push button...when you disconnect the delay box and plug the “shorting plug” in it changes it from ground to power.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47
October 24, 2018, 10:14 AM
MasRacing
I did one for someone recently the same way. It works fine and seems to be most simple way to do it. Another benefit I see is that if they change delay boxes down the road to one that uses a 12V button feed it would be an easy switch.

B.J. Masiello
October 24, 2018, 10:21 AM
Lenny5160
When I first used a Mega box on a quick disconnect, I needed to use 2 jumper plugs: one for the transbrake and one to change the button from ground to power. That second jumper is just one more thing to forget!

I wired the same box into my brother's car using the Ohiomafiawireguy method, and it works great!

Tony Leonard
October 24, 2018, 10:35 AM
Rawe Power
My car is wired with a slight variation of the OhioMafiaWiring diagram. The harness in my car has the leads going to the delay box split into two separate plugs, instead of just one. The benefit is that when the box is removed, I connect the two plugs left in the car to each other, completing the TB circuits for no-box mode. There is no jumper involved to get lost.

Ben Rawe 383H
1965 Chevy II Nova
October 25, 2018, 12:46 PM
David_D.
Sorry if I'm electrical wiring illiterate, but to clarify, "B" on the far right would be the connector wired the the no box trans brake button, correct?

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb
October 25, 2018, 01:52 PM
OhiomafiaWireGuy
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
Sorry if I'm electrical wiring illiterate, but to clarify, "B" on the far right would be the connector wired the the no box trans brake button, correct?

Yep

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47
October 02, 2019, 11:09 AM
David_D.
What AWG wire is everyone using for the power wire. The Delay box instructions indicate a 10 AWG wire, but I'm not finding any solid Deutsch connector pins in that size.

David Deming
October 02, 2019, 11:31 AM
markemark
quote:
What AWG wire is everyone using for the power wire. The Delay box instructions indicate a 10 AWG wire, but I'm not finding any solid Deutsch connector pins in that size.

#14 gauge in mine
October 02, 2019, 11:40 AM
Eman
https://deutschconnectorstore....dt-connector-basics/
If you have to split the power wire out to a separate connector.
October 03, 2019, 09:43 AM
Lenny5160
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

#14 gauge in mine

x2. All wires on the box are 14ga, in both cars.

Tony Leonard
October 04, 2019, 04:46 PM
David_D.
Sounds good guys. Thanks for the replies!

David Deming