DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mounting Vacuum pump puke tank
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting Vacuum pump puke tank
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
When mounting this tank, How important is it to have the tank lower then the pump ?? Thanks jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tank must be lower, can’t drain up

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks 1320 lol True that

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Mine sits higher than the pump. Hardly ever any oil. Mist if anything. Pulls 12" A little brake clean and a shot of WD and the pump stays happy.
Haven't had to put a kit in it yet. 8 years..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
My engine guy had me set mine up with a collector tank off the valve cover that drops into the top of the pump, then the puke line runs over to the puke tank just about horizontally. I'm usually 13-14 and get just a touch of oil.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If your motor is sealed up properly it doesn’t much matter where your breather tank is mounted.

Your pushing vapor into it not liquid.
Sure some oil will be in the vapor but it should not be much.

Moroso pumps like a little oil in them.
Star pumps work best with as little oil in them as possible.

I run an oil separator between my pump and the engine. Any oil pulled from the engine gets held in that tank. Star sold a dual purpose tank that was a separator and a breather. I use 2 Moroso’s because I had them.
My tanks are higher than the pump. Really difficult to find any other place to mount them in my dragster.

When I ran injection or alcohol carb the breather collected mostly just water and very little oil

Motor has to be sealed up as well as you can get it.

Distributers with split adjustable height collars will leak vacuum bad at that split collar. I use silicone to seal it ....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My tank is above, pulls 14" vacuum wfo stripe. When you shut it down, you can hear it blowoff vacuum.

Looks like bong water when the petcok valve is cracked open.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I run an oil separator between my pump and the engine. Any oil pulled from the engine gets held in that tank. Star sold a dual purpose tank that was a separator and a breather. I use 2 Moroso’s because I had them.
My tanks are higher than the pump. Really difficult to find any other place to mount them in my dragster.

When I ran injection or alcohol carb the breather collected mostly just water and very little oil

Motor has to be sealed up as well as you can get it.

Distributers with split adjustable height collars will leak vacuum bad at that split collar. I use silicone to seal it ....

Pretty much same setup I have, except for Moroso oil separator and Jazz breather tank...they are mounted on the top radiator bracket in my car, one on each side. works pretty good.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1487 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They call it a puke/drain tank for a reason, it WILL have oil/water in it and those fluids don't get there without the vacuum pump's exhaust port(Moroso) clocked for positive draining and the tank mounted lower than the pump. Otherwise, oil/water is always in the pump and the hose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Educ-HsJvQ&t=279s

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Agree Ed! If no water or chit is in your tank, the hose is full and possibly running back into pump or never actually leaves the pump. NOTHING goes up hill! Clocking the pump correctly effects the capability of it functioning properly as well..

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On my Front Engine Dragster I mounted the pump a little lower than the hose off valve cover and the breather is down real low out of the way. I pull 15-17 inches of vacuum and do not get much in the breather.

If you are getting lots of oil then you are sucking air through the motor and you must seal it up better. Assuming the piston rings are sealing good then here are some suggestions to seal it.
Sometimes it is hard to seal up a motor good and if it is not the vacuum will be low and it will suck air and lots of oil through it. Both crank shaft seals and cam seals can leak. We had one on the dyno leaking around the timing cover. Easy fix with some RTV silicone. My dyno Dude has an electric vacuum pump we hook up to the motor and pull a vacuum to help locate and eliminate leaks. When I put a set of heads on I will put some RTV up at top of gasket by the intake,I pay special attention to the China rail area on the block and around the distributor. Both of my motors are tall deck and on those they have a 5* distributor angle instead of standard 3* so the hole for distributor is opened up or elongated on drivers side. I made an adapter for it to reduce the size but still use RTV around base of collar.
Good heavy duty valve covers help. Hard to make the old stamped steel ones work.
One other thing if you run a relief valve do not put it on valve cover. When it opens it allows the pump to suck air through the motor pulling lots of oil with it. Put it on the pump or inline to the pump.
I really think very few if any need a relief valve anyway as they can not pull enough vacuum.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
huh I must be doing something wrong then. My tank is mounted about same height as pump. the hose runs higher than the pump. the pump output is at bottom. My puke tank first warm up of the day gets pretty full of water. then not much after that as the engine stays hot. The tank is pulling water vapor out and pushing it to the tank. I see no issue with it being mounted higher than pump. Oil always looks as good when I change it. Never milky. 7 years of running pump and never serviced it.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t care where you stick it.... the only one I’ve seen NOT blow oil an make a dammmn mess out the breather is made by GZ MOTORSPORTS much better baffling design....

Posts: 1261 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
I don’t care where you stick it.... the only one I’ve seen NOT blow oil an make a dammmn mess out the breather is made by GZ MOTORSPORTS much better baffling design....

I'll be damned, I must have one of those on my Nova.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

Black wrist/sweat band as seen in my photo above, cures that. Been using them since I first ran a vacuum pump back in 2010.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A Star Machine pump has both suction and exhaust on the top of the pump....and the pump is mounted with them straight up...

I sent my pump in to be checked last year and it was like new inside....I don't recall how old it is but it's been on there for years.....

Running a gas carb there is a whole lotta nothing in my breather when I open the drain

And Yes I can always tell it's working as the engine shuts down.....The breather tank is right behind my blow shield at shoulder height....

I had Moroso pumps and they worked fine as well with no oil separator between pump and engine..

With a Ron's Terminator a pump was almost a must......Engine ran much cleaner.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Methanol, Ya don't half to have a pump, if you race every week and go a lot of rounds.

The only reason I have a pump is to prove how easy it would be to run a 5 sec 1/8 mile 3200 lbs, with a sbc n/a.

I never ran a pump bracket racing, Bo laws methanol carb. Oil always looked good.

Pump engine does make more power, more vac it pulls, the more power it makes.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Star Machine pumps look like shyt and I don’t know 1 professional sportsman engine builder that uses them. 99.9% of the vacuum pumps on bracket and class racing engines are Moroso.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of anyone going from a star to a moroso, but I've heard a bunch going from a moroso to a star.

I have a moroso, so this is a completely unemotional point, being made. Moroso seems to work fine, so far.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Well on my Altered I had the breather mounted almost same height as the pump and it worked fine.
I put it way down low on my dragster to get it out of sight under the body. Mainly for looks and it works good there to. My suggestion on that is to put it lower if you can but it is not the end of the World if you mount it close to same height.
When I did my research before I bought there was only two that were worth considering.

The GZ motorsports pump is rather large but works really well. I have had mine for maybe 8 years? and I pull 15-17 inches of vacuum even after all these years. Never been rebuilt and never had a problem. Proven to be durable and work well. Really do not do much with it, maybe once a year or so I start it up and spray some carb cleaner in inlet. I did not like the lower drive mandrel that came with it much and ended up going to the Jones system.

The Star was the other one that I was debating on getting. I think the Star looks better and is really not a bad value because it has a very good lower drive mandrel set up that can easily accommodate other accessories.

I would not consider the older Moroso pumps but they are making a new larger enhanced design that some say is better. I know many people who have had problems with the Moroso pumps and carry spare parts to fix them when they do break. That is why I eliminated the Moroso from my choices.

I did buy a Moroso lower drive mandrel for my new motor as it is pretty nice.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post