Find
Notify
Tools

About E85
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Racers,

for those of you racing with E85, please tell me what you think of doing so. Also, if you have run with both E85 and Methanol, how do they differ? What are the pros and cons of each.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
The E85R does intrigue me from a possible performance standpoint, cost comparison to race gas and the fact it runs much cooler. As much as 8 months of Texas heat from spring to fall could definitely benefit a serious bracket racer. I too would like to learn more about this fuel. LC

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I can not find any advantage with E85 over Methanol

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
E85 can be purchased usually 24/7 by the gallon instead of buying it in 55gal drums and having to handle and store them.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
E85 is the cheapest of the three fuels too use it is more consistent than Gas but not as consistent as Methanol. I use a VW scirroco radiator to cool my iron headed sbc even in 100 degree temps. E85 doesn't milk the oil like methanol starts easier than methanol and warms the motor faster than methanol. Ive been running it for ten years. You will need a tester.

2017 Modified Sumerduck dragway Champ
2015 SBRA Footbrake Points Champ
Mason Dixon Dragway
Horse Power Innovations
E 85 Carb

Posts: 56 | Location: manassas | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What are any downsides to E85? I have heard conflicting recommendations on if a fuel pump upgrade is needed over gas. I run gas but have considered E85 as an option. What jetting adjustments over gas are standard thumb in the air estimates? It is definitely a more economical approach.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Racers,

for those of you racing with E85, please tell me what you think of doing so. Also, if you have run with both E85 and Methanol, how do they differ? What are the pros and cons of each.

Here's my experience...

Methanol ran cooler/took longer to get heat in the engine, was faster by about .1-.15 in the 1/8th, was readily available at most tracks, but did put moisture in the oil. This was with a Ken Jones carb

Ethanol used less fuel compared to methanol, slower than methanol but was just as consistent, not available at most tracks, no moisture in the oil. I started with a Mark Sullens conversion in 2009, bought a new Horsepower Innovations in 2010, and just had Mark Whitener set up another E85 carb with annular boosters.

The main problem with ethanol is making sure it can be purchased locally. Also if you are attending races out of town, make sure you bring enough fuel with you. If your compression is greater than around 12.5-13:1 I would talk to an E85 carb builder before making the switch to ethanol. I'm around 12:1 and have ran anywhere between E70-E87 with no problems.

The main advantage for me was fuel cost. I have made 24 passes in one day and used about 13 gallons of fuel and that was including initial warm up. I purchased that fuel at $1.69 a gallon...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: the rain maker,

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think E-85 is about 85% as good as alcohol, anything E-85 will do alcohol will do better IMHO.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've ran both with MFI.
E85 smells like dirty socks! Hated the smell!
Around me there was only one place to get E85 and sometimes it would be low as 55% and it was a 20 min drive each way. It turned in to a pain in the a$$.

Methanol was a lot easier for me. 99% every time and can get at the track or from another racer.
Doesn't really matter much for me now since my local track is going to be an auto auction.

Best of luck

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
True, I do not like the smell of E-85 at all.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We ran E85 for a couple of years then ran into a supply issue in Vegas. So we went to the VP C85 and I would NEVER go back to pump E85 after using the VP stuff.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
E85 = welfare fuel

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry I run all SBC 406 motors. I like e85 over gas due to the fact my blocks are poured and it helps a lot over the 112 I was formerly running. Never an issue with heat now. It has a lot more torque than the 112 with the same timing. It did not pick my Et up any actually I lost some went from high 5.80s at 115 to low to mid 5.90 @ 114. How ever the ETS are just as consistent easy to dial and varies little from temp changes. It is sold within minutes from me. Only downside I have found so far is when it gets below 55 you have to start on gas to prevent any backfires. As far as comparing it to methanol I cant advise as I have never run it. I will say lots of guys in my area love it when tuned correctly and many of them go rounds on any given day at any track. One guy has been points champion several years running Pro and SP. One thing I would advise , is to have someone that is a proven e85 carb build capable and proven. I had my first e85 carb built and it did not work at all by a noted builder. Had one built locally and it was spot on out of the gate.

Posts: 65 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Couple of questions. Is there a upper limit on CR for E85 that you wouldn't exceed? Are there any water accumulation issues with it's use?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BG7
I tested all I bought from the same vendor all year and it was always @ 90% instead of 85. I haven't had any issues with water. I race with some guys who buy the Renagade e85 and one of the guys ran out and used the pump e85 and there was no difference per him in ET or otherwise. I would think it would be better formulated but he ran same et. The Renagade brand is close to race gas price. I would recommend if you do decide to run it to not let it sit in your fuel system for a long period of time due to the corrosion factor of the ethanol. I winterize mine buy draining fuel cell and replacing with a couple gallon of gas , or just drain carb until next season. There aren't any VP dealers in my area anymore with anything other than 110 and methanol no e85.

Posts: 65 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank you. The CR I meant compression ratio. I am increasing my compression over the winter by and was wondering what is too much to consider going to E85. I appreciate the feedback on water in the oil issues.

BG

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Thank you. The CR I meant compression ratio. I am increasing my compression over the winter by and was wondering what is too much to consider going to E85. I appreciate the feedback on water in the oil issues.

Water in the oil or milking the oil is easily remedied by getting motor good and warm at the end of the day. Before I put it in the trailer I lean it out and get water temp up over 210* or so and the oil clears right up.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
10 4. Thanks. That is what I understand most issues are people not properly maintaining an alcohol motor and doing what you just described.

BG

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:

I ran it with a little over 13:1 with no problems. I did have problems with it gumming up the needle and seat after it sat for 2 weeks. I learned not to let it sit in the carb bowls for more than a week. I changed my starting procedure too. I stopped turning on the fuel pump before cranking the engine.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post