DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    rack n pinion alignment ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rack n pinion alignment ?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Installed rack and pinion on car. Due to location of cross bar upon which to mount it to,alignment to the steering arm and the hole to bolt to is not perfectly straight. I need to add longer steering arm and moveing box back would be ideal. It is not a ideal world. I can move back a little but arms will be agngles back away from straight alignment. Adding a 1" longer steering arm makes that a little worst since can only move back about half what I need.

Question how straight does it need to be? Is a Angle between steering box and steering arm ok?

Having to slow steering down some. With old funny car style drag link car went straight. Last few shots it looks loikie snake crawling away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Soften springs and drop it all the way down. Measure it, then raise it up to top out shocks and measure toe in again. You will have to raise or lower tie rod ends or your box until you reduce as much bump steer as possible. Also if you can not get it perfect remember if you have toe OUT you are out of control. Better to have a little more toe in than you need than toed out.

Mine was kind of a mess and took a long time to get it right. What I did was used a long board as a lever so I could raise it and lower it quickly and easily see what it was doing. Used blocks to hold it there while measuring.

It may not end up perfectly straight through out the range of shock travel but you can get it where it works good in most of your useable range. Also remember it is more critical at the finish line 150+ MPH than it is on starting line.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4244 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Sorry what are these shocks and spring things you talk of? Only springs ion FEd are valve and return on throttle.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How do you have a rack on a front engine dragster would love to see some pictures steering column must be crazy

Posts: 416 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Will try toi get pics. Nothing crazy. Comes out side under top rail. follows same as dragling using same guides. goes uber to rail behng fual tank and threw tank to the rack. Simple as can be. will try to post been so long since posted pics i forget what site I was using to down size file and upload here.LOL

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Sorry what are these shocks and spring things you talk of? Only springs ion FEd are valve and return on throttle.

Then that is even easier, just raise or lower the rod ends and or rack and pinion to same height. A little angle should not hurt anything but you still want the tie rods to be relatively straight in line with the rack. That is not going to slow it down much though.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4244 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Moving rack up/down, forward/backwards in relation to the tie rod end only affects cars that have suspension as it relates to bump steer. In your case with no suspension, less total turning radius but how much will depend on how far out of alignment or off level your rack is in relation to your tie rod end pivot point.

Ackerman won't be affected because that is built into the spindle when its designed/fabricated.

Posts: 430 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I did not see it making any real effect. I have over looked simple shyt before.

Talked with Frank Parks today and he said probably need 6" steering arms instead of 5". Making new set of steering arms tonight and working on moving box if chassis diagnols allow. figure can get maybe 1" movement back.Need two but guess 1 will have to do. If had new nose pices done I could move battery foward,move steering box and flip arms around to frontside, Win win battery more foward more effect weight and all around better. Thats later project maybe while sitting around with cast on foot for diabetic BS.