DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Q: tips for removing and S10 steering shaft?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q: tips for removing and S10 steering shaft?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, any clues for me on how to remove the steering shaft on my '82 S10 pickup? I must install new headers and the shaft goes through underneath two primary tubes.

Is it more complicated than simply undoing bolts on the rag joint and loosening a slip collar?

Not much on YouTube, it seems.

I've never had it out before.
Thank you much!
T.

Posts: 346 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what you said. Not that hard. I have heard of some racers changing out the s10 steering shaft for a jeep cherokee. Have you looked into that? It may be double jointed.You need to talk to someone 1st that has done that.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Might be easier to just pull the column out.
I went to a TRZ lightweight column with a U-joint to simplify the process plus it adds some much needed room.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How’s a q-tip going to help?
Big Grin

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
How’s a q-tip going to help?
Big Grin

Heheh, that's to clean out the grease from under my nails....

Posts: 346 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I looked at the thing a little closer and finally realized that the shaft telescopes in shorter, so I neither had to remove the steering column or the steering box. Was a breeze.

Will probably install a new rag joint while I'm at it.

I was kindof thinking of a Jeep steering shaft too, like some of the YouTubes described. But I'm pretty happy with the tightness of the steering now, and the new header on that side will not interfere with the steering shaft.

Lol, my biggest problems lay ahead.... ;^)

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I had an S-10 with Hedman headers and the drivers side was a pain. The Hedmans came apart but they ran right under the oil filter and you had to almost remove the header to replace the filter.

Posts: 1467 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
two words "Custom Headers", not cheap but well worth it in the end.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:

One word fixed mine SOLD

Posts: 1467 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:

Ironically, until they were canceled for Covid, last summer I was going to take welding classes partly to try to build my own headers.
I just cannot seem to find headers for an S10, that I really like.....

I have a set of long-tube units as well, and I think they're Hedmans. I'd have to pull the engine to get them in now, plus I'm pretty sure that the #4 primary tube will not clear the engine mount. Not even close.

I got them real cheap too from a guy who was desperate for headers to fit a SBC in a Dodge Dakota pickup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bad Nusz,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check out the Hedman Hustler fender well headers. After a little work the driver side is a two piece unit (#7) slide out for install to fit round steering column. Pass side drop right in. A little pricey but much better than the under the chassis long tube ones. good luck.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Check out the Hedman Hustler fender well headers. After a little work the driver side is a two piece unit (#7) slide out for install to fit round steering column. Pass side drop right in. A little pricey but much better than the under the chassis long tube ones. good luck.

Thank you much. I have considered fenderwell headers, but as a rule I believe my front runners would touch them in a sharp turn. At least since I prefer tall front tires, for the extra rollout.

Let's see, there is also a front-exit fenderwell header too, but it seems to exit in really a dumb spot. Like, half-way over the edge of the wheel well.

I've even considered twin-turbo headers, which would require a little fab-up of extensions to dump the exhaust in the proper direction.

I abandoned that idea for now though since I picked up these new headers for 50 bucks.

I'm starting to shop around for a different thing to race, so I'm not sure how crazy I want to get with the checkbook for the S10.