DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Electric shift options for the Grid ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric shift options for the Grid ???
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted
For 3 seasons now we've been shifting this truck manually because we could not figure out how to get the damn Grid to shift it without activating the trans brake button first.
What are the options for achieving this ?? It's been so long I forgot what we tried but nothing worked at the time.
Pretty sure we've tried the Biondo switch too and that didn't work.
This is our winter upgrade Big Grin

Any ideas ???

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
First… need to know how you are racing with Grid.

Are you Foot Braking, not using the Launch input (Launch input NOT attached to anything) and wanting Grid to shift the transmission during a run?

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention we mainly footbrake, Very rarely use the brake.
But needs to work with or without.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^Are you needing to use the TB to back the car up? If yes, are you using the same button for reverse as if you would be TB/box racing, OR, do you use a different seperate button to reverse the car?

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a pro brake and we have a dash mounted switch for reverse.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
So it just needs a signal to be "armed", like the ACD controller?
Maybe use a brake light switch for the signal?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, pretty sure I remember that was the problem, it has to "armed"
I'd prefer not having to arm anything Big Grin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The Grid Dark Blue Launch input signal that is used with the TB Launch button needs to be isolated from the back-up button wiring with a diode that is attached to the TB solenoid. See pic.

You program the “Launch Light Low” to the desired shift rpm. Whenever the engine attains that RPM value (6900 in pic), the Yellow Shift Light wire will turn ON and output a ground signal. This output will Always turn ON at 6900 rpm, just like a RAS in any Analog ignition, when The Time From Launch Timer (TFLT) in Grid is NOT running. This means when you do a burnout and if engine attains 6900 rpm the Shift Light output will turn ON. Same when going down track, 6900 Shift Light output ON.

If launching with the TB button, when button is released the TFLT in Grid is running and the Shift Light will turn ON one (1) time only at 6900 during the run. This is the “First Gear” programming in Shift Light.

When TFLT is running, the “Launch Light Low /High” is disabled. The only way to re-enable Lauch Light is to turn ignition OFF/ ON.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark, that kinda makes sense LOL

I'm definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to this stuff, I'm a follow the diagram kinda guy .

So if wired the way of your diagram, the automatic shift will work both footbraking or leaving off the transbrake with no "arming" of anything ???

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
if wired the way of your diagram, the automatic shift will work both footbraking or leaving off the transbrake with no "arming" of anything ???

Correct. Program and done.

When Grid Shift Light programmed as I show, the Shift Light will Always turn ON when engine at 6900+ rpm (Launch Light Low) and TFLT is not running (Burn out box and on track using FB). Using TB button and 2-step in Grid to launch, will start TFLT and single(1) shift is controlled by First Gear programming.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:

Yes, pretty sure I remember that was the problem, it has to "armed"
I'd prefer not having to arm anything Big Grin

That is what has kept me from pulling the trigger on an automatic shifter. ACD has the best hardware, but the controller sucks.

3-speed problems. Cool

Arming the Mega-200 replay tach is done with the line lock button.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is what has kept me from pulling the trigger on an automatic shifter. ACD has the best hardware, but the controller sucks. 3-speed problems.

Instead, consider using an MSD Grid 7730 ignition for 3 speed shifting. Besides ignition control, the other features it includes are excellent. The only control I consider better is an ECU, but the cost is considerably more.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s an example of how my TB is almost wired. I task Grid with disarming the +12v to the TB while leaving the starting line and on the track in box and no-box. Unlike a delay box with TB lockout, this Grid method does Not need to be reset in the event you bump the TB button while staging.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
My delay box will do multiple shifts on time or RPM's, it's just hard to find a rig that will work reliably with my Quarterstick. The ACD hardware is great, but it needs to be less complicated in the control. I guess I could probably figure out how to make it work, but that doesn't seem like a sound investment.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Kinda off subject but kinda not, if anybody is interested, I have a Biondo RPM 2 shift controller for sale. Made for a three speed, works perfectly. Just don't need it for anything. $50 plus the ride and it's yours....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post