DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gooseneck w/6' bed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gooseneck w/6' bed
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
Does that work?
I'd like to have the option of the shorter bed on a crew cab dually, but is it compatible with a gooseneck trailer?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1799 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Depends on the trailer. Some have the extended hitch portion, others have a narrowed design...I'd be worried a bit about towing a standard one with a short box, at least on tight turns...

I guess you could measure from the center of the hitch to the corner of the tongue on the trailer, and from the center of the hitch to the back of the cab to see if you'd have enough room....my buddy Danny has that setup on his truck, but his trailer is tag...the hitch is awful close to the back of the cab....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1520 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a gooseneck race car trailer that has a 32-34 foot floor (280 inch WB) dragster and golf cart with 20 foot living quarters (kitchen /bathroom/sleeping area) push out optional. Willing to travel out of State, no let me rephrase that, nothing in California preferably Montana.

Bob

Posts: 3167 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Near as I can figure, only GM offers the short bed in a dually anyway, better to figure this out now.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1799 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Dodge does, as well as GM. I don't think Ford does though.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1520 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
You can get a offset hitch neck to work with the shorter bed .

Posts: 1258 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
You can get a offset hitch neck to work with the shorter bed .

^^^^ this

I have a friend that has dually with 6” bed and tows a 42” gooseneck with no problems, Just got it in the spring and has been across the US twice already racing , and to Denver and some tracks in northern CA!

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The offset hitch helps, and some packages will completely clear. However, be careful because some setups will not clear the cab on a tight turn.

Ask me how I know after replacing the back glass three times Frown

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1867 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Gooseneck with 6’ bed Ram. Did not work without hitting the cab even with offset hitch. Had to extend the tongue forward on the trailer

Posts: 851 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My Dad did it with both the offset ball in the truck and an extender on the trailer reciver too, This is the item BW-4200 This was a 6ft 2004 Dodge bed. FYI if you get a Vintage trailer they off-set the pin holes that the reciever uses, and you have to re-drill it on the BW unit

Posts: 615 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
As others have already said, you’ll do best with a trailer that was built for a short box, with the hitch portion extending forward from the trailer body.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3215 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I better roll with the long bed.

No sense in having to shop for another unicorn in addition to an already weird truck.
Shopping is not easy for me.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
most people hit he cab or back window at some point,the extenders change the weight on the truck

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1459 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
you can have a 20ft long bed if you don,t pay attention any gooseneck can get in the cab or bed corners if you turn tight enuff Wink

Posts: 1258 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
the extenders change the weight on the truck

Definitely...

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3338 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So let me ask this about 6.5' beds with standard goosenecks: Is it ever a problem going forward? Or is the problem only able to be produced when backing? Am I safe pulling the trailer home without any offset hitch and watching my p's and q's?

And also, how much do the offset hitches detrimentally affect the handling of the combo?

I'm looking at doing some local only racing with a 44' gooseneck, and we just aren't sure enough that we will take to the trailer after having a motorhome at the track. So using a less than ideal truck to start with before we sell the old tag, and motorhome and 3/4 ton truck.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i was trying to sell a trailer and asked the guy what he was going to pull with.he said this truck it will pull anything(short chevy).i sai you cant get out of driveway,hooked him to it after he tried he backed up unhooked and left.if the box stops behind the hitch it will work,full box over hitch a lot more problems.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1459 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
i was trying to sell a trailer and asked the guy what he was going to pull with.he said this truck it will pull anything(short chevy).i sai you cant get out of driveway,hooked him to it after he tried he backed up unhooked and left.if the box stops behind the hitch it will work,full box over hitch a lot more problems.

Can you explain the box over hitch comment. Making sure I understand.

Also, are you saying that pulling forward, he could turn hard enough to interfere between the trailer and cab? I'm used to a tag, where you really can never get into trouble going forward. But of course you can get into all sorts of trouble backing. Is there not enough room on a 6.5' to make a sharp turn into a driveway or gas station?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Also, are you saying that pulling forward, he could turn hard enough to interfere between the trailer and cab? I'm used to a tag, where you really can never get into trouble going forward. But of course you can get into all sorts of trouble backing. Is there not enough room on a 6.5' to make a sharp turn into a driveway or gas station?

If you’re on the roof of the trailer and look down from the front edge, can you see the gooseneck coupler, or is it beneath the trailer body?

A trailer made for a short bed truck will have the coupler extended forward of the trailer body.

The corner of the trailer doesn’t care which direction you are traveling as it crushes your cab corner.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3215 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 03, 2022 08:05 AM Hide Post
quote:

some trailers stop the enclosed part back behind the hitch, as lenny said.some are tapered.the full neck box will give trouble.yes he was going farward and coud turn out of my drive.i had no trouble going out with my long bed truck.

1.036, 6.16@ 224