DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lexan window installation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lexan window installation
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
I am installing all new Lexan windows in the Pro Stock S10 truck project I am working on. Looking for any tips on cutting, sanding edges and especially masking and painting the boarders.

I have already bought the materials and will be using the old windows for templates.

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
You will need something like this for the screws Countersink Tool

Belt sander for the edges. Borrow one from a wood working friend.
Belt sander

A good jig saw with fine tooth blade and a steady hand.. (Not mine)

As to paint, I really haven't found any that doesn't lift after a time. I thought about using vinyl but haven't tried it yet. Anything you use will look like gloss from the outside. Make sure the tape is down tight or it will bleed through.

I have the counter sink and belt sander you could borrow if needed.

Just a FYI, I'm also moving back to the door side..lol

DC1: McAmis has the window trim paint and also carries black flat head screws.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I forgot. I use counter sink riv nut inserts instead of trying to hold a nut on the backside of the window. The counter sink ones sit flush with the body so it doesn't hold the window up.

If you don't have the tools or nuts. Harbor freight sells a cheap kit.
I also have the tools just no inserts at this time. lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When I drove a Pro Stock style truck for an owner. He re-did the lexan windows because the borders were way to wide. While I didn't do the work, I do remember him using the specific border paint below.

https://www.jerrybickel.com/wi...der-spray-paint.html

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2548 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I had very good results doing my back window with Rustoleum 2X Satin Black. I prepped with wax/grease remover and a scotch brite pad.

I installed the window in 2018. I also did the marguard windows in a friend's car after this, and good results.

Should be able to zoom in

https://www.swracecars.com/pro..._sid=f698d3e33&_ss=r

I should have put one more coat on. The little imperfection are where the window nut/bolt was slightly over tightened.

Clark

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Best results would be with wax and grease remover scotch bright as CAD has said then a product called BULLDOG comes in spray bomb from auto body supply houses then paint with something for flexable surfaces have done may this way

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=31J6YpTTEnM

You have probably already seen this, but I’ll share anyway

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAD:
I had very good results doing my back window with Rustoleum 2X Satin Black. I prepped with wax/grease remover and a scotch brite pad.

I installed the window in 2018. I also did the marguard windows in a friend's car after this, and good results.

Should be able to zoom in

https://www.swracecars.com/pro..._sid=f698d3e33&_ss=r

I should have put one more coat on. The little imperfection are where the window nut/bolt was slightly over tightened.

Clark

That looks nice. Clean little truck

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I did my own with a jigsaw and a sander. I used Lexan with Marguard and they have held up really well.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Best results would be with wax and grease remover scotch bright as CAD has said then a product called BULLDOG comes in spray bomb from auto body supply houses then paint with something for flexable surfaces have done may this way

Im trying to recall if I used Bulldog adhestion promoter... I think I did.

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Made some progress and got 3 windows done before the cold weather arrived. With all these windows having beveled edges to fit tight the Advice to get a belt sander was spot on. Also did some experimenting with the paint and found this Rustoleum for plastic laid down smooth and stuck extremely well after hitting the Margard Lexan with some red scotchbrite and cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol.

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Windows turned out nice.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
3 more to go

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Looks good Steve

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Window project complete, pretty happy with the results

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The windows install looks excellent! Nice! Is all the wiring / rpm dash/ ignition a new install as well?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
The windows install looks excellent! Nice! Is all the wiring / rpm dash/ ignition a new install as well?

Thank you,
Everything is new, complete update

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Nice

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Looks really good, Steve. I know you do things top notch. Looking forward to the final build.

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks good...I did the same thing with my truck an complete update. Looks killer

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post