DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Door Car 1/8 mile Gearing ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Door Car 1/8 mile Gearing ?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Initially the 2.10 was to soften the launch, keep it on the convertor longer and was much better if starting lines were questionable. It did this well.

Then I started short shifting 1st keeping it on the convertor into 2nd. This gave me more of what I wanted, less et more mph and consistent RT.

After I tried FB the car several times using 2nd, I saw the same mph but less et. Then I installed the 1+2 TB and started leaving in 2nd. I definitely like this look on the track and am running 5-6 mph more than many with the same et. I can even be over a fender behind some cars dialed 0.25 faster than me at 100’ and run them down with more mph.

I’m at the point where I have a SLR that effectively reduces the front half of the run but allows more mph on the back of the run with 1 shift.

So my question is how much more mph could I gain by putting more gear (higher ratio) to run the back half without speeding up the front half by much. Is this proportional at some point?

This is my goal if making a gear change. This weekend in 2700’ of corrected altitude the car ran 6.34 @ 112.25. I’d like to go 6.29 /6.24 @ 113.75 or more mph given this weather condition.

I have 4.40 diff with 1.40 trans = 6.16 SLR. At what rear gear do I run out of mph gains and just keep reducing et or run out of that with a gear change?

You might gain a little mph by putting a lower gear in it, crossing higher rpm, closer to peak power.

You'll lose et and mph putting a higher 4.40 gear it, crossing even lower rpm.

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

I'd put a 5.00 rear gear in it if I wanted to go 6.24 113 this weekend.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:I'd put a 5.00 rear gear in it if I wanted to go 6.24 113 this weekend.

I think you could be right Mike and am seriously considering 5.00 if changing. Would like to hear from other 6.0 -6.5 sbc that are geared 7000+ finish line in the 1/8 for et/mph.

If going 5.00 do you think I loose some stall rpm from the 4.40 gear?

Posts: 2612 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:I'd put a 5.00 rear gear in it if I wanted to go 6.24 113 this weekend.

I think you could be right Mike and am seriously considering 5.00 if changing. Would like to hear from other 6.0 -6.5 sbc that are geared 7000+ finish line in the 1/8 for et/mph.

If going 5.00 do you think I loose some stall rpm from the 4.40 gear?

Nah, stall is power. If you wanna speed it up a tenth or so 5.00 or 5.29 perfect for ya, you're still not running the chit out of it 7000 or 7200 at the stripe 1/8 mile.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post