DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Powder coating wheels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder coating wheels
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Has anyone powder coated Center Line wheels with the rough finish? Actually, I don't know for sure that they are Center Lines but I sure don't feel like hand sanding/polishing them.

I have new fronts coming but would like to keep the rears.

media blast? Ideas?

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can send them to someone who polishes wheels not sure on cost. You could rubber spray paint coat them with a rattle can. Or you could powder coat. Or buy new.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Greg, call Gene at Central Connecticut Coatings, (860) 528-8281 he’ll know. He’s been doing my coatings for 25 years.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Powder is not like paint, it will mirror the substrate when applied as a single stage.Single stage powder is 3-4 mils ideal.
Multi stage, a color and a clear 2 coats will be 6-7 and 3 stage like some translucents require will be 10 and over. Powder does not like to be thick, the thicker it is the less chip resistance there is. There is a window to be adhered to.
A solid color like a tgic black will show the machined rings in a centerline, and blasting to get a "tooth" will do little to remove the rings. The flats need to be sanded and the rings wiped with sandpaper to remove the highs, and then a light blasting to finish.
Trouble is everybody and their cousin has bought an old oven and a powder gun and has really skrewed up the industry. They load powder on up prepped wheels and when the tire guy mounts tires the powder chips off. They have no idea on cure time and the powder is either under cured or over cured, which both will cause it to chip. And they load up the powder because of a re shoot or some other screw up and it chips too. Sand the centers with a D/A with 220, hand sand the radius the same to remove the rings, and tell them to keep the radius around the lugs/hub side somewhat thin, so the washers dont chip the coating and you should be good. And you probably will have to reseal the already old silicone sealing the halves from the 340-400 degree cure temp.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I powder coated a set of wheels just like those one time. they look good when done. powder coated mine black, I still have the rears if you need a spare set.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check with Jeff Kondratic, his wife does powder coatings

Posts: 8 | Location: Near Numidia | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Plasti dip is cheap and no shipping!
Lots of colors.
PS you better get a passenger seat in that car for index racing

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My Weld 2.0 rear centers were powder coated same color as the chassis. The coating was coming off at the lugs. I rattle can repainted them at least once. I was gonna get them recoated and spent forever trying to get all the coating off. Was quoted a pretty high price (I thought) to do em. I sold them after glass beading them at least 3-4 times. Bought polished centers.

From what I’ve seen, I’d pass on getting wheels done and get them polished. Do some work yourself as was described to sand out the machine grooves. They will polish up real nice if a pro does them with the right equipment. Finding someone is maybe the harder part. A chrome shop would have the equipment usually.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
A chrome shop would have the equipment usually.

does anybody know of a shop that would chrome a set of aluminum wheels?

Posts: 309 | Location: USA | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Why not Anodize? Unless you need a gloss finish...

My hilljack butt would grab a rattle can of Rustoleum Satin Black and let it eat.
Aluminum brightener to clean and etch the surface, make sure the wheels and coating are 70-80 degrees when you apply.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Cerakote?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post