DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ATTN: Markemark Grid to Mega 450 starting line enhancer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATTN: Markemark Grid to Mega 450 starting line enhancer
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
Asking for a friend....Need wiring diagram to use a Mega 450 to step 5 in grid as a SLE. Hope I'm saying that right.
A friend is trying to do this and I'm confused as well as him.
We have power from the SLE/Bump button, to the Tap terminal, step 5 wired to the SFO terminal,
Is this right or what are we doing wrong?
What has to be done to the SFO mode settings?

Thanks
Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
SLE/Bump button is a ground not power.

SFO mode 1

What are your step 5 settings in the grid?

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Another question which could be the answer to our problem. Only wires hooked up to the box is 12 Volt and ground. Every terminal is hot even without a button being pushed??

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:

SFO mode 1

So you say TAP/Bump button is ground?

I think he has grid set at 2500 for testing purpose.

Will try that.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:

SFO mode 1

Changed the SLE/Bump to ground. Blew the box up... Actually blew a fuse...so far.

Dave

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When unsure of component wiring method it’s always best to print out the instructions and review prior to wiring. I suggest making a hand drawn wiring diagram of your intended project also.

As Dennis wrote all inputs to Mega 450 are grounds with exception of LL. All four outputs are fused for over-current protection.

Not sure what you’re trying to do. Perhaps call Digital Delay for help.

Posts: 2611 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
When unsure of component wiring method it’s always best to print out the instructions and review prior to wiring. I suggest making a hand drawn wiring diagram of your intended project also.

As Dennis wrote all inputs to Mega 450 are grounds with exception of LL. All four outputs are fused for over-current protection.

I'm not doing the wiring, just sort of their asking me questions. I had sent Kevin the instructions you had posted a while back on using the grid as a pro stage. It works well with a K&R box but not working out as well with this Mega 450.
Noted that as Denis said the buttons are ground, and they had the pro stage set up as Positive. after Denis pointed it out I had them use a jumper to simulate the button going to ground after disconnecting it from the box. When touching it to ground it immediately popped a fuse. So something else is going on. I question the fact that all outputs have voltage all the time when only the + and - are connected.

Kevin was on the phone with Digital Delay for a good half hour while they walked them through the wiring. Still does not work. That's when I became involved and when they asked me to post up to you.

I'm going to have them set it up on the bench and see what happens.

Thanks
Dave

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:

I'm not doing the wiring, just sort of their asking me questions. I had sent Kevin the instructions you had posted a while back on using the grid as a pro stage. It works well with a K&R box but not working out as well with this Mega 450.
Noted that as Denis said the buttons are ground, and they had the pro stage set up as Positive. after Denis pointed it out I had them use a jumper to simulate the button going to ground after disconnecting it from the box. When touching it to ground it immediately popped a fuse. So something else is going on. I question the fact that all outputs have voltage all the time when only the + and - are connected.

Kevin was on the phone with Digital Delay for a good half hour while they walked them through the wiring. Still does not work. That's when I became involved and when they asked me to post up to you.

I'm going to have them set it up on the bench and see what happens.

Thanks
Dave

So the K&R uses 12v for all the button triggers and the Mega 4xx box button triggers are ground except for LL PB that's 12v.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had sent Kevin the instructions you had posted a while back on using the grid as a pro stage. It works well with a K&R box but not working out as well with this Mega 450.

I don’t recall doing this, but if you have that post I would like to see it. Seems I forget more than I remember as time goes on unless it documented in my files.

Posts: 2611 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Mark this is what you posted. I have roughly 17 pages of tips/instructions you have put out. I saved them as a Word file..

Using Grid as a SLE. I have the SLE output from my Mega 450 wired to the Step 5 input on the Grid. Have the spool rev limit set to 2200. Stage the car normally, get on the button and go to the wood with the throttle and it’ll set at 2200 until I let go of the button and it goes on the launch rev limit of 4500. Works great, does have a little puff of black smoke when i go to the floor and it gets on the spool limit. Probably could tune it out with a smaller squirted but it hasn’t bothered me enough to change anything. You can use the green wire from the Grid, hook it up the SLE output from your box, set the spool rpm's at lets say 2500, when you hit the TB it goes to 2500 and then to your launch RPM just like a physical SLE.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I think you posted them in the TIPS thread.

Dave

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark this is what you posted. I have roughly 17 pages of tips/instructions you have put out. I saved them as a Word file..

Using Grid as a SLE. I have the SLE output from my Mega 450 wired to the Step 5 input on the Grid. Have the spool rev limit set to 2200. Stage the car normally, get on the button and go to the wood with the throttle and it’ll set at 2200 until I let go of the button and it goes on the launch rev limit of 4500. Works great, does have a little puff of black smoke when i go to the floor and it gets on the spool limit. Probably could tune it out with a smaller squirted but it hasn’t bothered me enough to change anything. You can use the green wire from the Grid, hook it up the SLE output from your box, set the spool rpm's at lets say 2500, when you hit the TB it goes to 2500 and then to your launch RPM just like a physical SLE.

This was not authored by me. I believe it could have come from someone like Bogaki some years ago when his wife was leaning how to drive faster dragsters. I do not use Mega delay boxes nor an SLE feature but am aware of how they function.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
My mistake then. As I said I have 17 pages of stuff like this I thought you had posted.
Anyway that is how the guys wired the SLE and are having issues.

Dave

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Every car I've wired in the past few years with a grid (K&R and Mega delay boxes) gets wired with the spool limiter connected to the SLE output even if the customer plans to use a conventional SLE.

They all get tested with an MSD tester then the spool limiter gets set back at 10000 rpm.

The SLE/prostage functions the same on both brand boxes with the exception of the button polarity. Id recommend trying another Mega 4xx box if you can.

Denis LeBlanc

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every car I've wired in the past few years with a grid (K&R and Mega delay boxes) gets wired with the spool limiter connected to the SLE output even if the customer plans to use a conventional SLE.

Which device/s and what function/s do you wire for shifting the car you’re wiring? Why that choice, whatever it is?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which device/s and what function/s do you wire for shifting the car you’re wiring? Why that choice, whatever it is?

I wire them to shift off the yellow light wire and the delay box. So when using the K&R the grid handles the RPM shift and the delay box handles time shifting. When using the Mega 4xx the grid is a back to the delay box because it can shift on time and rpm.

Denis LeBlanc

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Id recommend trying another Mega 4xx box if you can.

That's the conclusion I have arrived at. He has a spare just hasn't found it yet..lol
This one was supposedly sent in somewhere and repaired.
Thanks

Dave