DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    goodyear slicks ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

goodyear slicks ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
anyone running goodyears on a dragster anymore? I was told they are getting back in the game ? I didn't know they got out.

Posts: 5 | Location: gap pa. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For faster dragsters, total failure for years now. Slower ones, any tire will work.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Good way to waste money

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Since Goodyear and Mickey Thompson tires are the same basic company now, they are copying those tires.

I have two team members who use them, but they replace them all the time. My Mickeys have been on for two years and show no signs of needing replacement.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
that's what I wanted know . my next question is does anyone run mickys without beadlocks ?

Posts: 5 | Location: gap pa. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm running the narrow 34.5x15x16 goodyear on 2 cars. 4 link miller dragsters, 4.60/4.70, 4.40/4.50. Both cars work fine. I didn't like the Goodyear 34.5x17x16 tire from 3 or 4 years ago. I don't remember the part number because they change over the years. My favorite was the old 1022, i'd go back in a heartbeat if they would make that one again.

I never was a mickey fan, they just dont' work for me. I've tried, big bubbas, little bubbas, didn't like the way they worked.

I've run MT big bubbas with no bead locks no screws in the 4.70 range, have a friend who ran them 4.50's no bead locks, but he did have screws.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crump.racing:
that's what I wanted know . my next question is does anyone run mickys without beadlocks ?

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Goodyear Tires hold air....

And here come the "My car sits for 3 weeks and never looses any air" guys....

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've been 4.59 at 153 and 8.90 at 180 on Goodyears have ran them for years guess it's all in what you like they are trying some new things that are working.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:

Correct except lot longer. Mine did lose air one weekend after a few leaves. I figured ok so M/T's are losing air which means they are normal. After that, they have held air. Maybe broke the seal on the bead? Now have them marked to see if moving since non beadlock and no tubes.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:

I run 3183s without beadlocks and have for ten years. High 4.4x to low 4.50s.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:

On fast dragsters, everything else falls of the car from tire shake!
Pick your poison!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software:
Since Goodyear and Mickey Thompson tires are the same basic company now, they are copying those tires.

I have two team members who use them, but they replace them all the time. My Mickeys have been on for two years and show no signs of needing replacement.

Don

GY has the engineering staff and the $$$ to develop a better tire than the Bubba's. They have tried for years, all failures which makes you wonder why with their resources. Maybe they make their $$ from the fuel and PS racers. Both of these classes go through sets of tires like you read about! LOL

I put 326 runs of a set of Big Bubbas running 6.80's/196. They still worked like new and there was no difference with reaction time when I replaced them.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know of a racer who ran MT Bubbas, not sure if they were Big or Littles but they used rim screws! No issues, I believe they were BB's.
Running a LB on a 16" wide wheel without bead locks is asking for trouble, maybe OK with 16 or 32 screws but why chance it. BB's are 2 inches wider so these have a better chance on 16" wide wheels vs LB's.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know of a racer who ran MT Bubbas, not sure if they were Big or Littles but they used rim screws! No issues, I believe they were BB's.
Running a LB on a 16" wide wheel without bead locks is asking for trouble, maybe OK with 16 or 32 screws but why chance it. BB's are 2 inches wider so these have a better chance on 16" wide wheels vs LB's.

If they come off the bead, it's only a problem when you slow down! Just look at the picture posted. Wink

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have been running big bubbas for years with just rim screws. They work just fine. Ive been as fast as 4.47 when on Nos no problems.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ran little bubbas for years without beadlocks, on welds, went best of 4.40. I believe i heard the wheel profile makes a difference on the non-beadlock wheel.

Came across a set of beadlocks and never looked back.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Jason Infinger going 4.teens on goodyears this past weekend at Montgomery.

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
It’s been a long time, but I tested and ran a 2032 for a number of years and all of a sudden, they sacked the engineer and Competition Tires South. I was out in the cold. That’s when I went to MT. Great tire and Company, but they had quality issues. Leaked air and every other set, impossible to balance. That said, that MT tire was like a secret weapon late when dew set in.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post