DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Suggestions for hood and scoop for Lamplighter project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for hood and scoop for Lamplighter project
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Fellow racers and builders,

As a reminder, the Lamplight is a 3rd Camaro, specifically a 1982 model, but 82 - 92 takes the same hood. My struggle is with the hood and scoop. It will require about a 3" raised section to allow proper carb. Clearance. Other than that, the page is clean.

Y'all help me out with some photos and suggestions.

Thanks

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1836 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
no scoop, cowl hood

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, I did a Firebird a few years ago, and with that build, I installed a Harwood 3" cowl bolt-on [attaches to factory hinges and works like factory hood.] [Harwood is 8 miles from my shop] Looking back at those photos, I still like the look and that car was dead-on constant.

Just brainstorming for other options before I buy something.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1836 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I agree, cowl induction hood. I have a 2” on my 92, got it cheap, but I like the 3 or 4” better and would allow more clearance.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is my Firebird from a few years ago with Harwood 3" hood

Larry Woodfin

Zip/GZ archiveInbox_(278)_-_woodfinlarry_gmail.com_-_Gmail.html.zip (279 Kb, 133 downloads)

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Big cowl. I love mine compared to the cars I drove with big scoops. I like the 6" look and it gives you room. I'm worried about carb spacer I want to install this year fitting but i run an air cleaner. I only have a 4".

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My 3rd gen has a 4” Harwood cowl lift off hood. Same 2892 intake (they’re tall) as yours Larry, with a 3/4" primer spacer, 4.625 tall toilet and Uni FRS 950 low profile filter with 5/8” cut off mounting collar to clear top of hood cowl. Fits and works perfect. Ran it without and with filter…… exact same ET.

You, not using an air filter, would probably be able to put a 2” or less cowl on it.

Think about the next owner……. imho put a 4” cowl on it.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320racer and markemark in my opinion have the set up. Larry on my 82 Camaro 4" harwood cowl,good vision and just right height.Was hopping to use same idea on my Corvette but wound up haveing to use a scoop.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't run an air filter/cleaner on my race cars and if you need more clearance, cut the manifold down which I guarantee has too much plenum volume, made worse with a spacer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I looked at the Harwood liftoff style because it was more open underneath and a few pounds lighter.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
My struggle is with the hood and scoop. It will require about a 3" raised section to allow proper carb. Clearance.

Larry, what is this proper clearance you want to have?

Fyi, here's mine...

That's the front bowl vent, the rear bowl vent is under the cowl. With 154MPH speed in the 1/4 mile at 3211 lbs. and with a 4150 carb, it's clearly not hurting performance.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, I did not explain correctly. A 3" cowl hood will give adequate clearance, about like what is showing in your photo.

Since Harwood is a short drive, and I am set up to buy from them. It is the best thing to do. Besides, I save $100.00 + shipping

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mark,

In hindsight, would you do liftoff or factory hinges?

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Hinges for the win!

I open my hood after every round to aid in cooling down and to visually inspect the engine bay. No help needed and no concern that the hood and/or fenders will get chipped/banged up during the R&R or that it will blow off the car or get stepped on, all of which I have seen.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, I agree with your comments.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark,In hindsight, would you do liftoff or factory hinges?

I purchased my car “as is” and the 4” Harwood cowl lift off hood was on it. I remove hood after every run to fuel the front 3 gal cell and have a visual of everything.

If building new, I definitely would do hinges to make things much easier.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Mark,In hindsight, would you do liftoff or factory hinges?

I purchased my car “as is” and the 4” Harwood cowl lift off hood was on it. I remove hood after every run to fuel the front 3 gal cell and have a visual of everything.

Agreed I would like to add hinges.

Larry are you going to run some type of screen or filter over the carb?

Mark mark do you like the UNI?
If building new, I definitely would do hinges to make things much easier.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:Mark do you like the UNI?

That Uni FRS-950 (4150) is a foam filter. I use the Black color FRS-971 dirt filter element in it. The Red color FRS-970 element is much thinner. Soak with 50/50 solution of Simple Green to clean and let air dry. Re-oil with Uni Foam Filter Oil Spray.

When using, if your engine backfires up into the air filter, it’ll melt the foam and suck the residue into the engine. My engine does not backfire. Even when starting full cold in 30* temps never a problem.

If you do have backfiring issues cold starting when using this filter, it’s best to remove prior to first start.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have seen many cars over the years backfire and the filter catch fire. Not good and it's one of the reasons I don't run an air filter.