DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Big Tires, not so fast door car...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Tires, not so fast door car...
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted
So obviously my car doesnt need a monster tire under it, but besides some et loss, is there a disadvantage to running a big tire, specifically 16” wheel selections, 3186 MT’s Big Bubba’s etc. I built the car to run big tires, but didnt give it a whole lot in the horsepower department. Anybody running big bubbas on a door car. Details, 2760 lbs, strut front, 4 link rear, 434 sbc, 5.29 out back and a 1.80 low in the glide. Currently has run 6.01 at 112 with 3186 MT under it. I’m of the opinion that even though I may give up et, I should be able to make it work fine consistency wise with big or small tires.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I can not say how much but it will slow it down.
Just like when you put skinny front tires on the car is faster not so much because of lighter weight but because of less rolling resistance.

Bigger rear tires would have more rolling resistance. But it may hook up good. When your feet stick to the track your tires are doing same thing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I can not say how much but it will slow it down.
Just like when you put skinny front tires on the car is faster not so much because of lighter weight but because of less rolling resistance.

Bigger rear tires would have more rolling resistance. But it may hook up good. When your feet stick to the track your tires are doing same thing.

I’m specifically asking if there is a disadvantage besides the et loss. I know it will be slower, and that doesn’t bother me a bit, I can change the dial no problem lol. My number one goal is consistency.

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think that as the track changes for instance when sun goes down that it would effect the consistency and ET more than a smaller tire because of the increased rolling resistance.

It is a good question and I can not tell you for sure just give you my thoughts on it.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Once it's tuned, it'll repeat as good as any given set of dampers you put on it, repeat.

Kinda like a valve spring manages the velocity of the lifter and push rod.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Once it's tuned, it'll repeat as good as any given set of dampers you put on it, repeat.

Thats the process i’m working on. Only have a couple nights on it and i’ve made several changes trying to get it like I want it. I dont suppose it matters what tire is on it if I dont get the suspension at least close.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
quote:

Thats the process i’m working on. Only have a couple nights on it and i’ve made several changes trying to get it like I want it. I dont suppose it matters what tire is on it if I dont get the suspension at least close.

Big tire small power, I'd run a lot of squat long low IC and the rebound clicker fairly tight. Transfer weight out of the gate.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
What car do you have Stephen?

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Here's the disadvantage.. My 6.10's Vega is light enough, and with fat tires on the back, that you have to "get after the throttle" pretty quick in the burnout or the big tires will try to push the fronts..

And I wouldn't have it any other way! Cold Track, Hot Track, New Track, Old Track, it'll hook.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueTruck:
What car do you have Stephen?

71 Demon that we’ve had forever. I just spent the last 3-1/2 years building a new chassis under it after it had been sitting the previous 11 years. You probably didnt see it but I brought it to the HRP divisional Saturday to get a chassis certification and had it out for a few hours while we tooled around on the golf cart. I’m not snart enough to post a pic here but you can find plenty on my Fakebook Page.

Link to Pic...I think

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
Here's the disadvantage.. My 6.10's Vega is light enough, and with fat tires on the back, that you have to "get after the throttle" pretty quick in the burnout or the big tires will try to push the fronts..

And I wouldn't have it any other way! Cold Track, Hot Track, New Track, Old Track, it'll hook.

I agree with that it should hook any where anytime and that is a good thing.

For bracket racers I think it is better to over tire a car than under tire but this is more than normal.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This might make it easier to discuss.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big tire small power, I'd run a lot of squat long low IC and the rebound clicker fairly tight. Transfer weight out of the gate.

Define long and low....i’ve been playing with the IC calculator a bit and I bet i’ve moved the bars 5 times now since the last time I ran it trying to make up my mind what I want to throw at it next.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Define long and low....i’ve been playing with the IC calculator a bit and I bet i’ve moved the bars 5 times now since the last time I ran it trying to make up my mind what I want to throw at it next.

So, here's what we're talking, if you run the IC relatively long and low, when it comes of the brake it's gonna rock back and wind the tire. You wanna run the rebound on the damper tight, so you don't get a hop when the tire uncompresses or un-winds whichever you prefer to imagine it.

How long and low depends on how it looks leaving and / or weights / center of gravity.

Ultimately like anything, I think if you have a good set of shocks on it that'll repeat, it'll repeat timeslips.

What I mean by a shock repeating is, a lot of times a a lower end shock develops slack at high speeds. Back in the day I'd hear people say shocks don't matter I have big tires, that's wrong then and even more wrong in 2021. When you have a big tire like this ya really need a good shock.

Let your driveshaft graph lead you in coming up with a workable IC. If you have data. Something like this I'd want a check mark at the most, in the driveshaft gragh at the leave.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes I have data. It has afco double adjustable out back, strange double adjustable struts. Both are out of the box, no special valving. So you are saying tightening the extension will help overcome the hook, spin, hook issues that some cars have when the tire plants then unloads?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I have data. It has afco double adjustable out back, strange double adjustable struts. Both are out of the box, no special valving. So you are saying tightening the extension will help overcome the hook, spin, hook issues that some cars have when the tire plants then unloads?

Yes Sir, if it's compressing the tire, then unloading on the hop when it unwinds / un-compress.

If you can get to where you could post images of the data, that would speed things up.

I think what you have for shocks will work fine. Just gotta find what IC it wants.

You definitely want it to rock back like the center illustration here shows, work the tire. Long low IC.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have one of those big tire cars that repeats and is consistant. I am no good at advice and its a foot brake car, no button, 6.50 105 with around 1.40 60 ft. This car will hook in a mud hole.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Good looking car Stephen.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Is that the same car youe parents ran in the middle 70's?

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueTruck:
Good looking car Stephen.

Thanks!!