DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trans Brake issue....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Trans Brake issue....
 Login/Join
 
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted
I apologize if this runs long...for two years now I have been fighting an issue with my trans brake...what happens is I let go of the button and the car does not move...then it launches by itself giving me an awful light usually between .175 and .250...it acts exactly like I am using a delay box but I don't even have one in the car...

We have changed solenoids twice, new Biondo mushroom button...pulled the tranny and had it gone through completely...had the car completely re-wired professionally, every inch of wire is new...

It is an FTI glide and 8" converter...I put in a new aluminum valve body two months ago...every ground has been checked and re-checked...this problem shows up intermittently...sometimes week to week and sometimes 6 months apart...it happened at Brdenton last week so I left and then again at Palm Beach 3 days later...

Nobody seems to be able to find this glitch so I am asking for this boards help...the only part we have not focused in on is the MSD 6AL2...thanks in advance...
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Have you tried scotch brighting the solenoid shaft? They can get a tiny burr and it can do just what your talking about.
 
Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure on the FTI valve body if it’s a double dump or not, kinda guessing it is. (call FTI/Greg and find out and also ask their opinion on this) What case are you using and how was it prepared in the reverse clutch area? Are you using the adjustable fluid release orifice if equipped? Does it come out of reverse ok? Other than RPM control, what else is tied into the positive side of the brake solenoid?
Any notable correlation of cold/hot transmission temperatures?


Jerry Kathe
 
Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Did you have the issue before you changed the valvebody?


Jeremiah Hall
 
Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
line lock?????


honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

 
Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
what happens is I let go of the button and the car does not move...then it launches by itself giving me an awful light usually between .175 and .250...it acts exactly like I am using a delay box but I don't even have one in the car...


Does the engine rpm remain on the lower 2-step rpm during the period (.175 - .250) that you do Not have the TB button pushed (like a delay box) and prior to the trans brake releasing and car moving???

Do you have a playback tach ??
 
Posts: 2422 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
THIS MAY HELP OR NOT.....EVERY POWERGLIDE VALVEBODY I'VE SEEN...NEEDS A SHIM OR 2 SHIMS BETWEEN THE CASE & SOLENOID...THE RELEASE STROKE IS NOT RIGHT..THIS CAN

ONLY BE SEEN WITH THE PAN OFF. I KNOW THE GLIDE BUILDERS ON THIS SITE HAVE SEEN THIS...HOPE THIS HELPS..
 
Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had a similare issue years ago with a turbo 400.It ended up being in the case recased it and problum went away-internal crack that only opened with enough temp


The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid
 
Posts: 393 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a pressure gauge on the reverse tap to perfect solenoid depth. Screw it in & out in reverse , running.

Highest pressure, shim accordingly.

I suspect this is the op's problem.
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
Could it be the SLE opening up really slow at times????


Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion
 
Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the problem remained after changing valve body and button.
As someone asked does it stay on the 2 step? Is the linelock wired into the transbrake circuit?
 
Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Maybe reverse clutches have worn grooves in the case and they are hanging up?


The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!
 
Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a second proven cast iron valve body yet, complete.



2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
1.058
2.98
4.629@149
6.094
7.310@185

 
Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Have you tried scotch brighting the solenoid shaft? They can get a tiny burr and it can do just what your talking about.


Yes, the shaft has been sanded for burrs...
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Kathe:
I’m not sure on the FTI valve body if it’s a double dump or not, kinda guessing it is. (call FTI/Greg and find out and also ask their opinion on this) What case are you using and how was it prepared in the reverse clutch area? Are you using the adjustable fluid release orifice if equipped? Does it come out of reverse ok? Other than RPM control, what else is tied into the positive side of the brake solenoid?
Any notable correlation of cold/hot transmission temperatures?


I have a sportsman brake and I spoke with Greg for 40 minutes two days ago...he is stumped as well...
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
Did you have the issue before you changed the valvebody?


Yes, I had a steel valve body before...same issue with both...
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
line lock?????


I do have a line lock but it is not on the t-brake circuit...
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
what happens is I let go of the button and the car does not move...then it launches by itself giving me an awful light usually between .175 and .250...it acts exactly like I am using a delay box but I don't even have one in the car...


No playback tach...but...when I let go the two step stops...this tells us the electronics are working but we cannot find the issue there...at least not yet....sigh...

Does the engine rpm remain on the lower 2-step rpm during the period (.175 - .250) that you do Not have the TB button pushed (like a delay box) and prior to the trans brake releasing and car moving???

Do you have a playback tach ??
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Had a similare issue years ago with a turbo 400.It ended up being in the case recased it and problum went away-internal crack that only opened with enough temp


I have a JW Ultrabell case...been on it since new...
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Sounds like the problem remained after changing valve body and button.
As someone asked does it stay on the 2 step? Is the linelock wired into the transbrake circuit?


No, it does not stay on the 2 step when I let go...no, they are wired separately...
 
Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trans Brake issue....

© DragRaceResults.com 2024