DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Silverado Ring and Pinion Change
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silverado Ring and Pinion Change
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
2010 sliverado 2500, 6.0L, 3.73 from factory
Love the way the new to me gooseneck tows compared to the old tag. I may never go back to tag trailers. But it's heavier. By a lot.
I'm in Illinois so the hills aren't terrible. Getting up to speed could be better.
Anyone make a switch from this to a 4.56 ratio? Its a 6L90 trans. The thing is almost exclusvely for towing.
What do you think? Make enough of a difference to be worthwhile? With the 6L90 and doing the math, even at 70 mph the rpm isn't all that great for an LS. 23-2400 with the 4.56
The other thing I'm thinking is that I have not changed the front of a silverado before. Anyone know how involved a front ring and pinion change is for this truck? 4x4
Stock tire size

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Dana rears are a chore.

I'd boost it, instead of swapping gears.

The L8T is available as a crate engine too.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I figured the recovery from every gear change would be less since I would actually use all 6 gears getting up to speed instead of simply never using 6th.
Why is the dana so much worse to do?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I figured the recovery from every gear change would be less since I would actually use all 6 gears getting up to speed instead of simply never using 6th.
Why is the dana so much worse to do?

Case spreader is a must have, and the crush sleeves will wear you out.
Maybe on a 60 series race unit some of that can be cheated, but not on a 70 series HD unit for highway use..

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
4.56 is big step a 4.1 may be better option

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Would a electronic performance turner give you the performance gain you're looking for? They have specific pre-programmed towing tunes.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Find a transmission shop local to you to have the trans and engine HP tuned. You would be shocked as to what it can do to help pull better.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Truck is tuned
I’m asking a lot from it pulling wise and just trying to make it a bit easier to get up to speed

Didn’t realize these were s much harder to do

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Factory Supercharger and forged internal with stroker crank.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Truck is tuned
I’m asking a lot from it pulling wise and just trying to make it a bit easier to get up to speed

But was trans tuned? If not you need it. I tune EVERY 6l80/6l90 i rebuild or replace, and as long as the miles are lower, and there isnt any trans issues, I tune them as well.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:
Truck is tuned

But was trans tuned? If not you need it. I tune EVERY 6l80/6l90 i rebuild or replace, and as long as the miles are lower, and there isnt any trans issues, I tune them as well.

Yes

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo