DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Who makes PBM-Erson Valve Springs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes PBM-Erson Valve Springs?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted
Anyone know who manufactures PBM-Erson valve springs?

I thought they were made by Manley, however I haven't used them in several years as I was just using the Manley springs. They are $50 less expensive is the only reason I'm asking.

If they are the same exact spring, I'd like to save the $50.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
That would be Erson Cams.
Trivia: None of the cam companies actually make their springs in house. Specialty companies do the work to their specifications.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
With regards to your trivia, that's what I thought. It was my understanding that there were actually only a couple of manufacturers.

That being said, are you indicating Erson is a manufacturer?

David Deming

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that Manley and Erson are the same springs. Probably not made by either company!

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
With regards to your trivia, that's what I thought. It was my understanding that there were actually only a couple of manufacturers.

That being said, are you indicating Erson is a manufacturer?

As you surmise likely not but that is the brand name being sold. As I recall PBM owns erson these days, hence the hyphen in the name.
If the springs meet your specs I would not be concerned about the name attached.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
PSI, Peterson, PAC probably have 90% of the racing market.

One thing to keep in mind, the cam companies buy selected part numbers from one manufacturer and others from another manufacturer. Also, they change suppliers as they see fit. So your Erson part number nnnnn may have been made by PAC from 2000 to 2016 and now since then by PSI or whatever.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I ran Manley springs forever with great luck. Apparently they had a bad batch. 56 passes and they broke. Not just one either. I replaced them with PSI springs. Only a few runs on them but so far so good. I'll report back if I notice any problems. BTW, I was not the only one with problems, other racers reported broken Manleys.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5311 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Had 2 Manley Nexteks break inners on 2 different engines.....

Switched to PSI...no breakage

Pulled those off at about 150 runs and they were like new...

Put PAC's on just to try them and they have been no issues as well...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
Problem with using a different spring is that I can't seem to find any brand other that PBM-Erson or Manley with the same specs as the springs I run.

I run a Manley 221443-16
- - - - - - - -
Solid Roller
.730 Max Valve lift
1.580 O.D.
.832 I.D.
Installed/Open Pressure
235 @ 1.950 / 610 @ 1.250
535 spring rate
1.170 Coil bind
150 Weight
Double Without Damper

I've checked PSI and PAC without finding an exact replacement.

David Deming

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
Most of the Erson springs are made by Associated.

I've broke dual Nextec's on BBC engines. A 2.300/2.350 steel valve needs a triple.

With that said, the M300 (Chrome Silicone) line of KMotion springs are the best I've ever used. I said Chrome Silicone, not PAC or PSI.

I've used them all.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
chad has kmotion changed,years ago i broke them on a regular basis

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
Based on the offerings of all of the companies mentioned, I'm still relegated to using either Manley or PBM-Erson due to specs.

A guy likes to save money, but not at the expense of quality. My pocket book says PBM-Erson, my mind says I don't know. lol

David Deming

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
chad has kmotion changed,years ago i broke them on a regular basis

I don't use any H11 stuff. But the chrome silicone holds up well. They also have a few 1.500 duals with the same specs as the Manley stuff. hmmm. Smile

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
Chad, do you know of an alternative to the Manley spring (221443)?

David Deming

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
Chad, do you know of an alternative to the Manley spring (221443)?

What is the steps of your retainer?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:

What is the steps of your retainer?

To be honest with you, I have no idea. I'd have to pull one off and measure I'm assuming.

I kind of think AFR made changes since my 210's were purchased shortly after the Eliminator version was released.

David Deming

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I believe that Chicago Wire & Steel manufactures valve springs for many of aftermarket sellers.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I believe Chicago Wire and Steel manufactures valve springs for the majority of resellers.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post