DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gasoline Dually powertrains **UPDATED**
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gasoline Dually powertrains **UPDATED**
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
You have to be out of your mind to pay 60K plus for a gas job dually.

Or a used diesel. But they get bought every day.

The truck I got rid of had 50,000 miles, I don't drive used up junk anymore, just too old for that.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
1 year, 6500+ mile update.
Still love it.
It's got gobs of power when you want it.

I have questions about the A/C power plug I'm not satisfied with, but it's not a big deal.
The A/C plug seems to be dead unless it's in the run position, which seems rather useless, and I'd like it better if the accessory command didn't time out. I want the wi-fi live all day, it's why I ordered it with dual batteries.

Shuttled it back and forth from the track bobtail a couple of times, clocked a 19 mpg average during the 94 mile trips. Eek

I'd still recommend.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I sure like the sound of these big gassers. But too new and expensive for my budget. My 3/4 ton handled the 17k lb gooseneck better than I expected for the close track. But it sure was working.
I found a 2001 lb7 rust free and nice body, dually with new injectors and a fass fuel system. I would think this truck will make easier work of the load.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6397 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Side note, they now offer the Allison 8 speed in the 6.6 gasser.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

THAT is a really nice offering! Someone was thinking.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6397 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sure like the sound of these big gassers. But too new and expensive for my budget. My 3/4 ton handled the 17k lb gooseneck better than I expected for the close track. But it sure was working.
I found a 2001 lb7 rust free and nice body, dually with new injectors and a fass fuel system. I would think this truck will make easier work of the load.

2001 LB7 dually is what I have been towing with for 10 years now. Paid $10K for it from the original owner with 120K miles on it. Put injectors in it about a year later. Will pull my 32 ft fully loaded at 80mph on flat ground but hates going up steep hills and will fall on its face. LB7 have head gaskets issues so you need to keep the boost to a manageable level. For what I have invested in it I will keep it forever

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

THAT is a really nice offering! Someone was thinking.

Has me wanting to see what the trade difference would be, except that some of the packages I really like on mine have changed slightly. I'm not really worried about the 6L90, I'll not live long enough to wear it out.
But that Allison is a real upgrade.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

2001 LB7 dually is what I have been towing with for 10 years now. Paid $10K for it from the original owner with 120K miles on it. Put injectors in it about a year later. Will pull my 32 ft fully loaded at 80mph on flat ground but hates going up steep hills and will fall on its face. LB7 have head gaskets issues so you need to keep the boost to a manageable level. For what I have invested in it I will keep it forever

Good to know! I live in the Illinois mostly flat lands. Heading the Tri State is a little hilly but if you go fast enough down the hills you will get up the next one. LOL.
This has an aftermarket exhaust....not annoying just driving around. will see when the trailer is hooked up. I kinda figure I'll do my best to keep it stock asides from durability upgrades. If the 6.0L did it I'm sure this will be better.

360/380 vs 300/520

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Allison transmission FTW, we absolutely love our 10 speed!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Allison transmission FTW, we absolutely love our 10 speed!

2BKING
Relaxing

Not sure why they didn't offer the 10 speed for the gas.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:

************EDIT*******

It is a 10-speed Allison offered in the 2024 Gasser.

I got excited and didn't look past the Allison part the other day.....

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

************EDIT*******

It is a 10-speed Allison offered in the 2024 Gasser.

I got excited and didn't look past the Allison part the other day.....

I would think that would be badass. A turbski with 6 psi would be nice with that combo

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
FYI, IT IS NOT AN ALLISON transmission. It is a 10L1000. Alison assisted with converter and pump, but the rest of the parts are GM. Another side note, The 10L1000 and the 10R140 is the pretty much same transmission. The ford 10r140, and its tuning, is complete garbage. When you can retune the trans on the ford it becomes as good as the 10L1000. At my trans shop, we havent even heard of an issue with the 10L1000. But since 2019, we have replaced 30+ 10r140 transmissions, and all them were junk by 75000 miles.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Luckily I'm real satisfied with how my 6L90 is operating so far.
I can see where a transmission that has no 1:1 ratio could have problems.
Pretty sure I'll be long gone before it has troubles. Cool

goob- it's all chi-nah junk now Frown

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you still have it in 3-5 years, i would HIGHLY recoomend getting the trans tuned. All the failures with the 6L's and 8Ls are because of the junk tune that GM puts in the transmissions. I tune all 6ls and 8ls, no matter if i replace or rebuild.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

If you still have it in 3-5 years, i would HIGHLY recoomend getting the trans tuned. All the failures with the 6L's and 8Ls are because of the junk tune that GM puts in the transmissions. I tune all 6ls and 8ls, no matter if i replace or rebuild.

I may have to plan a road trip on the new I-69 then.
Message me your shop information so we can set something up, please.

Dave Cook
N375