Find
Notify
Tools

ATI brake
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
My trans builder installed an internal ATI brake (403080) in my T400. Now that I've got in the car, I decided to test the solenoid. I can't hear anything. I'm putting 13.3 volts to it while I'm under the car and I hear nothing. This isn't a wicked quick and the instructions say it only draws 1 amp. Does that mean it might be very quiet? My old external brake sounded like a small hammer smack.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron Gusack,

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
With your meter set to ohms, place one probe to ground and the other to the wire terminal leading from TB button to solenoid. If you get a reading then you have a completed circuit to the solenoid. A reading over 20 ohms will be less than 1 amp.

If you place the meter leads in series between the TB button and solenoid you can determine the actual amount of current draw on the relay when energized. This value should coincide with ohms law for current using voltage divided by ohms = current.

With that small of a solenoid being used, it’d be very hard to hear submersed in fluid and attached to the valve body.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The internal brake solenoid is very small and you’re not gonna hear it.

I had powerglides that had that same style brake in it.

The trans builder I used back then used an ATI valve body.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
If the car isn’t running you can still hear an internal solenoid click. It’s just muted being inside the trans.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ROLLIN'
posted Hide Post
Ron,
I had an ATI "internal" solenoid trans-brake in the 90's and it was inaudible also. Although it was in a PG, I've got to believe its very similar to what your experiencing. And yes the external solenoids are loud.

Posts: 23 | Location: .002 next to you | Registered: May 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
With your meter set to ohms, place one probe to ground and the other to the wire terminal leading from TB button to solenoid. If you get a reading then you have a completed circuit to the solenoid. A reading over 20 ohms will be less than 1 amp.

If you place the meter leads in series between the TB button and solenoid you can determine the actual amount of current draw on the relay when energized. This value should coincide with ohms law for current using voltage divided by ohms = current.

With that small of a solenoid being used, it’d be very hard to hear submersed in fluid and attached to the valve body.

Thanks for your instruction Mark, I hadn't thought about reading ohms through the solenoid. According to my meter, I have 515 ohms through the solenoid. I struggle with reading digital meters. I think I have 515 and then I move the range to K and it reads 1.28. I would think it should read .5075 on the K scale. At least I know I have a completed circuit. Maybe I'll put my stethoscope on the case to see if I can hear anything. Thanks again Mark.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
If you have fluid in the pan, you most likely wont hear the solenoid click

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
According to my meter, I have 515 ohms through the solenoid. I struggle with reading digital meters. I think I have 515 and then I move the range to K and it reads 1.28.

Ron, I believe that is because you are measuring the Resistance through the solenoid coil. Even though you are using the Ohm scale, (Measure of Resistance), coils are not Resistors, they are Inductors, which are accurately measured by Inductance. Measuring Resistance of a coil serves to give you an indicator of continuity and a crude measurement of the presence of Inductance. Changing to a different resistance scale on a multimeter will push different levels of current, which will increase or decrease the Impedance of an Inductor. (Resistors convert electrical energy to heat, Inductors convert electrical energy into a magnetic field, which is what moves the plunger in your T-Brake solenoid). This concludes today's Physics lesson. Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have used those internal solenoids from ATI ever since they had them and I can't hear them either. Of coarse I am old and deaf which could cause the silence also

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
According to my meter, I have 515 ohms through the solenoid. I struggle with reading digital meters. I think I have 515 and then I move the range to K and it reads 1.28.

Ron, I believe that is because you are measuring the Resistance through the solenoid coil. Even though you are using the Ohm scale, (Measure of Resistance), coils are not Resistors, they are Inductors, which are accurately measured by Inductance. Measuring Resistance of a coil serves to give you an indicator of continuity and a crude measurement of the presence of Inductance. Changing to a different resistance scale on a multimeter will push different levels of current, which will increase or decrease the Impedance of an Inductor. (Resistors convert electrical energy to heat, Inductors convert electrical energy into a magnetic field, which is what moves the plunger in your T-Brake solenoid). This concludes today's Physics lesson. Wink

Thanks for the lesson Jim, I greatly appreciate it.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something here? Transmission is in the car why not just fire it up quick on jackstands and test it?

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
The car wasn't together enough to be able to start it and I meant to test it before putting the trans in.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:

Very Nice! Great explanation!

Someone who can actually respectfully answer a thread without acting like a total clown! Thank you sir!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post