DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Funny Car Cage in a Door Car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny Car Cage in a Door Car
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted
Good Morning Folks,

For those of you who are racing with a funny car cage in a door car...what's your visibility like? If you had it to do over, would you do it, or go without the FC cage, assuming it's not mandatory at your current ET?

For those of you who CAN see ok with yours...what's the distance from your main hoop to the front of your funny car cage? Trying to get a ballpark on where the front hoop would work best as far as protection vs visibility. And yes, I realize that it's going to be dependent upon the particular car, seat position, my driving position, etc. I'm just looking for a rough starting point.

I have to make some chassis additions over the winter, and contemplating adding a FC cage in mine, but don't want to jack up visibility from the seat any more than absoloutely necessary.

Thanks for any input!

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ordered up the SFI manual for a 7.50 cert and built my funny car cage accordingly. There are many options. READ the text don't just look at the pictures ! good visibility for me.

Posts: 5 | Location: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: November 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
Thanks...I have the SFI manual for 7.50...I was just hoping for some real world feedback before I started wasting tubing lol.

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think it is going to largely depend on the bodystyle of the car. In my Ciuda I had ZERO issues seeing around the F/C cage, in fact I used it to line up the car in the other lane. In my current stratus vision is piss poor, but it is more a finction of the car than the cage. Mush narrower car and roof for sure, side windows are much smaller as well and forgetabout seeing anything behind you except in a mirror. Thankfully I have been a mirror racer since the beginning in both cars and feel confident using them to drive

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Maxx Levell:
Good Morning Folks,

For those of you who are racing with a funny car cage in a door car...what's your visibility like? If you had it to do over, would you do it, or go without the FC cage, assuming it's not mandatory at your current ET?

For those of you who CAN see ok with yours...what's the distance from your main hoop to the front of your funny car cage? Trying to get a ballpark on where the front hoop would work best as far as protection vs visibility. And yes, I realize that it's going to be dependent upon the particular car, seat position, my driving position, etc. I'm just looking for a rough starting point.

I have to make some chassis additions over the winter, and contemplating adding a FC cage in mine, but don't want to jack up visibility from the seat any more than absoloutely necessary.

Thanks for any input!

I had to have the SFI cert cage for the ET range of my car/class, but I was running heads up so there isn't as much looking out to either side finding your opponents position for driving the stripe.

I'd say for bracket racing, if you don't need it for the cars ET, don't install it if you want maximum visibility.

Also, you can't use someone else's measurement from the main hoop to the front as seat position determines the distance. My kirkey seat is flat against the main hoop and my funny car cage is 13" to the front edge. But someone else may have 4" gap between the seat and main hoop so their funny car cage is going to need to be deeper.

Your helmet must be fully behind the forward funny car cage bar, no matter what the distance is. I see alot of cars come in the shop that the funny car cage is too small and shouldn't pass cert.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <DOTracer>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post