DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mickey Thompson Tire Shake Problems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mickey Thompson Tire Shake Problems
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
This is not meant to stir the pot and not a rumor.

I've seen and heard of MT racers having issue with tires this year. Anyone here gotten new tires and all of the sudden been fighting their cars?

Posts: 2112 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of LARAY
posted Hide Post
Just put a new set of little bubba's o. So far so good.

Posts: 579 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I believe Big Steve just put new 3197's on and didn't miss a beat.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Put new ones on mine in May, no issues.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
We have mounted 2 sets this year, one set in Feb, another set in April...no issue so far.

Bracket cars or 5 second T/D's having issues?

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is not meant to stir the pot and not a rumor.

I've seen and heard of MT racers having issue with tires this year. Anyone here gotten new tires and all of the sudden been fighting their cars?

at what power levels

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i put a set of 95.s on a 4.50 car no shake

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I believe Big Steve just put new 3197's on and didn't miss a beat.

This!! going from 3195 to 3197. Smooth as a babies bottom

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve: Smooth as a babies bottom

Don't want to know how you know this Stop

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
3186’s here shake and leak horrible. Taking them off once other wheels come back from getting beadlocked!

Duane Allen

Posts: 29 | Location: Sandston VA | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane1791:
3186’s here shake and leak horrible. Taking them off once other wheels come back from getting beadlocked!

what tire pressure are you running on the 3186?

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have run between 5 1/4 to 6 1/4

Duane Allen

Posts: 29 | Location: Sandston VA | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
You mean like this?.....LOL
FWIW these are brand new Lil Bubbas (3 passes) as well as the entire combination. I’m not ready to blame the tire as I had zero test opportunities prior to this race. I would have aborted, but needed to both qualify and get a plug reading. I know at this point the car is dead hooking and then forcing it into tire shake as it wads up and runs over itself. I made extreme bar and shock changes over three qualifying passes and seen no difference whatsoever, other two runs were the same results. I have a couple of changes going on and will advise on the results, good or bad……if it quits raining and I can make the next event!

One change that was suggested to me after the race was going to 4.2 PSI……who’s running their PSI in that area? I have never used the Bubbas before, so I know I have lots to learn.

The very first run I set them cold (80º day with cloud cover) at 6PSI - the video link is that run, I checked them in the turn off area and they increased to 7.2….set them back down to 6 PSI warm…..no help there, also flattened the top bar and stiffened the extension, softened up the compression….absolutely no help. If it was a door car it should have went from shake to going up in smoke….yeah…I got that desperate.

shake n bake

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jerry Kathe,

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I used to run the 3186's, have 3196's on the car now. Never an issue with the 3186's until the tires started going away. Then they would shake a bit, then eventually my car would "hop" off the line. Tried different pressures from 4 to 8 lbs and the higher pressure helped, but never cured it. Good so far with the 3196's...Gonna wear them out before they get replaced though! Not gonna run for the next couple of months though, too damned hot here!!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1470 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
4 lbs is waaaaay too low on any bubba tire...I was told by 2 very well known good racers to run them that low and they simply would not work at that psi. The faster we went the more air they required. Was up to 8 psi on a door car that went 4.04 at 179. Big or little bubba simply runs over itself at that low of pressure on my set ups.

Car jumped off the ground it seemed in the video...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I ran 6.5 in the 3190s in the bracket car and 5.5 in the 3195s and 3197s in TD trim going low to mid 3.80s in the 1/8th

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
too aggressive a converter?
did you look at wheel speeds on your racepak out of the gate?

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ll take some unsolicited guesses at what’s going on:

Turn the chip down and put a huge check mark in the timing at 0.2 and it will be better. Without a wheelie bar you’re never going to get it up on the tire at the hit and it will always want to rebound and spike the DS at 0.2. Best you can do is tame the rebound. It’s hard to get used to but getting the car really lazy in the first couple of feet is faster with no wheelie bar there to prop it up.

Is the nitrous on at 0.00? Its best to turn it on there and just control power with timing, but there are guys that get away with turning it on later but there is some “magic” to it.

When I had my SLR and everything pretty conservative for the power I could never shake a Mickey. But there’s been a few times where I was learning stuff that I managed to “drop shake” a Mickey (like you did in the video) hard enough to make my bead hurt and break stuff.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Jerry- is that the 3191 or 3190 lil bubba?
how quick you running?

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
Different animal but I just put a set of the 10.5's on my FED and can not get them to work ! The tire is very sticky and dose not plant at all at the hit ! Tried going up on air and down and the same results ! Lost over a tenth in the eighth mile and if I can get it to the finish line without having to lift it is 2 tenth's slower !I guess there just not for me !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post