DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mechanical diode convertors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanical diode convertors
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted
I just received a convertor from Abruzzi the other day and I'm curious if anybody is using a mech. diode convertor from Marco. I had him go with that style because I' not happy with the performance of the spragless one I have used this past year. The spragless is 2-3 hundreds slow and a couple mph over a previous sprag type unit. My car is a SBC @ 2500 lbs.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
I just received a convertor from Abruzzi the other day and I'm curious if anybody is using a mech. diode convertor from Marco. I had him go with that style because I' not happy with the performance of the spragless one I have used this past year. The spragless is 2-3 hundreds slow and a couple mph over a previous sprag type unit. My car is a SBC @ 2500 lbs.
They usually are slower but less stuff to break

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My experience with the mechanical diode is good. I have run several in several different cars, all with good results. I do not know of any reason it would be slow, should be faster than a spragless and equal to a sprag.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When one of my old converters broke I went back with a Hughes Spragless and could not any loss at all. That converter has been very good and consistent.

On the old one that broke the sprag I am not bothered too much by it I got my moneys worth out of it. Still it is one less thing to break and I did not lose any ET or MPH going spragless.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I run both from Marco, on mine if stall speed was the same the diode was a little quicker roughly .015 and .75 mph. I have the spragless in it now and it's 150 rpm looser than the diode was and is close ET wise. I have my diode converter ready to go back in after loosening it. It should stall 150-200 more than my current converter. If I sit on the 2 step a little long on my current converter it will flash an extra 100rpm and it pics up .01 or so. Thats why we loosened the other one even more.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR: The spragless is 2-3 hundreds slow and a couple mph over a previous sprag type unit. My car is a SBC @ 2500 lbs.

curious… did both spragless and sprag type flash to same rpm at launch? What Flash RPM?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Mechanical Diode is the fastest available. Any fast stuff runs one. We use them in our 9" bolt togethers. Will not affect the flash or fall back. WILL pull off the fall back faster as that is where they normally pickup which also increases MPH. Also won't drag down as much when you rip the pedal at the stripe.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Mechanical Diode is the fastest available. Any fast stuff runs one. We use them in our 9" bolt togethers. Will not affect the flash or fall back. WILL pull off the fall back faster as that is where they normally pickup which also increases MPH. Also won't drag down as much when you rip the pedal at the stripe.

SL...

I call tell you with my combo that's 100% incorrect vs sgragless. I made the switch to reduce engine breaking when peddling at the stripe, I notice no difference. Performance, no difference with either et or mph. Add that into the pile of good ideas.

Every combo

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
Hmmm interesting. All I know is what my stuff does, and the feedback from multiple converter companies.

AL - who's stuff do you run?

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
I have a Neal Chance bolt together converter that came with a mech. diode and made it spragless car ran the same ET and mph in the 1/8. Havent run 1/4 with it being spragless

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm interesting. All I know is what my stuff does, and the feedback from multiple converter companies.

AL - who's stuff do you run?

I work closely with Eddie at Select. I do feel the combo matters as with anything. Light cars/dragsters and good power are pretty numb to small changes. Eddie thought I may see some MPH increase but didn't. Since I tried the diode about 3 plus years ago, he has seen similar results that I saw.

To see MPH increase, you either need to put the motor in a better rpm range it likes through the lights, or decrease drag/increase efficiency. Not seeing how a diode, spag or no sprag would impact this.

To many focus on top end slip numbers, if the converter is correct for the combo, slipping 4% or 6% up top will change nothing on the time slip. It's all about wheel speed - this directly translates to the time slip. Converter slip is a direct function of its design and the load applied to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

SL...

The proper diode/sprag converter will out run a proper spragless converter everytime. I personally sell and use spragless converters 99% time. But if im looking for rock star numbers im putting a converter in that has a sprag in it.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

SL...

The proper diode/sprag converter will out run a proper spragless converter everytime. I personally sell and use spragless converters 99% time. But if im looking for rock star numbers im putting a converter in that has a sprag in it.

Like I said, the combo matters,,, but for me a diode made no difference in performance, just cost more!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

SL...

Like I said, the combo matters,,, but for me a diode made no difference in performance, just cost more!

Curious, is that a boosted combo? Reason i ask, an engine that continues to make power the more you turn it, the less that a spragless converter will affect the engine. A spragless converter with an engine that starts running out of steam, will act like a brake and not allow the engine to accelerate like it should.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

SL...

Curious, is that a boosted combo? Reason i ask, an engine that continues to make power the more you turn it, the less that a spragless converter will affect the engine. A spragless converter with an engine that starts running out of steam, will act like a brake and not allow the engine to accelerate like it should.

Nope, NA. 632 with Dart Pro 20 heads, single carb. Both the spragless and diode converter run the same.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

SL...

Nope, NA. 632 with Dart Pro 20 heads, single carb. Both the spragless and diode converter run the same.

Then it can be done, but MOST converter companies out there arent always capable of that.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
AL refresh my memory. What's the fastest you've been and weight?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
AL refresh my memory. What's the fastest you've been and weight?

1825 lbs RED w/a TD wing, C15 race gas
6.75 199.5 4.28 162 (650 DA)

Normal summer heat - 6.84 195 (4.36 159)

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

SL...

Then it can be done, but MOST converter companies out there arent always capable of that.

I believe Marco told me that a small block is more apt to see differences compared to big block engines.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
On my low power small block, switching to spragless ran about the same 1/8 mile, but it hurt the 1/4 mile about 3mph.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post