New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take A Chance?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I've been needing a spare set of radial slicks. I have always had Hoosier radials for back up tires. The M/T Pro Bracket radials are my primary tire & mounted on a 9" wide rim.

My spare rims are 10" wide & I'm limited to a small section width tire, no more than 12.5". I had found these tires about a year & half ago. They're a lightweight radial & I've run the lightweights but in the C06 compound before. They worked good & could get 150-160 passes out of them; never saw the cords.

Anyway, I like these tires, but don't know about the unknown C30 tread compound.

Roll the dice & take a chance?

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Why not run the true 10.5” tire right beneath those? They are wider while fitting your section width limitation, also lightweight, and are in the C06 compound that you are familiar with.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I was mistaken by stating the 12.5" section width. My M/T PBRs have that section width & when I had them mounted on the 10" wide rims they rubbed. That's why they are on the 9" wide rims.

I don't mind taking a chance with the C30 compound tires seeing they are my back-up tires & I like testing different things. I was hoping to find someone who had used these tires before. I can find zero information on the tires/C30 compound, other than you can order them.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
There's no one at Hoosier Tire that can explain the engineering intent of the C-30 compound?

I have seen that and wondered myself, since it's no where on the chart, and the chart really makes no sense.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
There's no one at Hoosier Tire that can explain the engineering intent of the C-30 compound?

I have seen that and wondered myself, since it's no where on the chart, and the chart really makes no sense.

I have no desire to talk with Hoosier. I talked with them many moons ago about using the C06 lightweight radials, 2 different reps. I was told no way hell they would work for bracket racing. I won plenty of races/rounds with them.

These tires will be for testing & spares.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I've been procrastinating on these tires for some time. They're on order & when they arrived hope to provide some feedback on them.

I don't care if they're faster or slower, only that they're consistent in different track conditions.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING: I don't care if they're faster or slower, only that they're consistent in different track conditions

Are the M/T Pro Bracket radials you’re presently using not consistent?

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The PBRs are my favorite & my primary tire. While the Hoosiers have been a close second in consistency. The Hoosiers a slightly quicker, but we are bracket racing & don't care what tire is quicker.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
My PBR's have performed flawlessly on track temperatures from the mid 40's to 140 plus, end of discussion. You're throwing considerably more HP to them.
I am at a 9.57:1 or 9.09:1 SLR with my 3-speed so it 60's well.

If I can ever get around to notching my frame rails, I want to try the Hoosier DBR's, but that's probably another season off.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
You're throwing considerably more HP to them.

I'm starting to push the envelope with my power/tire size for competitive big bucks bracket racing. I'm still decent with local/smaller 10K & under bracket racing.

I really need to start working on slowing the car from the start using the launch retard & bring in the power 60'-100' out. I still have room for more power in the tune-up with more timing & boost; just have to manage it better.

Back to the tires, eventually I'll get another set of 9" wide rims; probably with beadlocks. Then I'll have 2 sets of the 29.5x10.5 M/T PBRs tires.

As for the new tires ordered, don't know how they will perform. I can't really do a realistic tire test with them. My PBRs have over 100 passes on them, wouldn't be a fair comparison.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Michael Beard put 250+ on his PBR's with no drop off. Still worth shot at a comparison.

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
You shouldn’t be able to tell a difference between pass 1 and pass 100 on a set of tires. If there is a difference, it’s time for the trash.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael Beard put 250+ on his PBR's with no drop off. Still worth shot at a comparison.

^^^^^^ From a car that runs 6.8x I would expect this.

quote:
You shouldn’t be able to tell a difference between pass 1 and pass 100 on a set of tires. If there is a difference, it’s time for the trash

^^^ X2

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The plan for the tires, when & if they arrive; special ordered. Is to run them for one bracket race & have as spares for the M/T PBRs.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436