DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wheel Recertification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Wheel Recertification
 Login/Join
 
DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a set of Sander SFI 15.1 wheels that I bought used. The owner before me had them powdercoated so the SFI sticker was removed. Has anyone had any luck having wheels recertified? Going to call the manufacturer but I was just wondering what other's experiences were on this given the new rules next year.


B.J. Masiello
 
Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
The Mickey's I have never came with the inspection sticker..I just had them redone at the trailer in Orlando during a race there, the only issue they had was what sticker to put on them. They were originally meant to be SFI 15.1, but they didn't have any stickers.....So the rep called his boss and they told me that they met the criteria for 15.3, so that's what they got....Those expire in two years, and I'll send them in again, just tell them 15.1 is enough...15.1 is lifetime too.....so end of issue.

Biggest issues will be if wheels have had any work or mods done to them. If they didn't come that way it can be a big issue with the cert, as the cert is done with the wheels as they come from the factory...Getting them powder coated afterwards could potentially void the cert in the first place....I'd definitely call, but I'm going to guess is that they will tell you no because the powder coating prohibits inspection of the wheel itself....

As to the rule, ANY wheel that was originally certified 15.1, 15.3, or 15.4 originally MUST have the cert stickers in place to be legal...2019 it was limited to only certain classes. 2020 is ALL classes because it applies to the wheels now and not the class.....


Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
 
Posts: 1464 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure if your wheels have been powder coated have had the sticker removed after you purchased them they will not be recertible.

I asked Weld about this a couple years back and they told me they would not recert my wheels if I powder coated them. Looking back I am glad I never powder coated them, they still have the original 15.1 stickers on them and I am good to go

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,
 
Posts: 2385 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information

I will call but you confirmed what I was thinking. I wish they were not powder coated as well. Unfortunately I went with what I thought was a deal at the time and this is the cost of that.


B.J. Masiello
 
Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
My bet that everyone who has powder coated their wheels and don't have SFI stickers on them are going to regret it.

Of course this is only the racers who race in a class requiring SFI rated wheels.
 
Posts: 2385 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
My bet that everyone who has powder coated their wheels and don't have SFI stickers on them are going to regret it.

Of course this is only the racers who race in a class requiring SFI rated wheels.


Steve, after Jan 1st, this will apply to any wheels that were originally certified, not class specific. If you show up with a daily driver, and you put on SFI wheels, and they no longer have the sticker, or if they happened to be 15.3 or 15.4 and are out of date, then you can't run them until they are recertified......


Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
 
Posts: 1464 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Mark is correct.
ANY CLASS and yes even regular ET Brackets.
If they came with a sticker they better have one on them in 2020.
Wink


Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA
 
Posts: 953 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
Mark is correct.
ANY CLASS and yes even regular ET Brackets.
If they came with a sticker they better have one on them in 2020.
Wink


Technically yes but when was the last time your went through a full tech inspection at a ET Bracket race?

As far as other classes at a NHRA race that don't require SFI wheels how is an inspector going to know or prove if a wheel ever had a sticker on it? If the class does not require it how can they boot you for not having it? I just don't see that being enforced. JMO of course, guess we will find out next year how far this goes.

I for one will never buy a set of 15.3 or 15.4 wheels
 
Posts: 2385 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
My long car has 16 X 15 Streaker wheels made in 1989-90. No SFI then, so NBD? My roadster has Weld wheels from @ 2001-2002. I'm pretty sure they had stickers at some point. I have a hard time believing people are going to be bounced. Who can prove which wheels did and didn't?

This is going to be fun.


RIP


It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.
 
Posts: 790 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just to follow up.
I spoke with Sander Engineering. A 15.1 wheel can be powdercoated and they will resticker them. A 15.3 and up cannot be powdercoated. However the powder coating can be stripped. A 15.1 can be upgraded to a 15.3 by having them change the wheel centers and bolts. When in doubt I would talk to the manufacturer. At least this is what I was told on the phone.


B.J. Masiello
 
Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide PostMy long car has 16 X 15 Streaker wheels made in 1989-90

yikes...don't you think it would be wise to replace them? I have seen a bunch of cars wreck in recent years running eighties to nineties built wheels
 
Posts: 1423 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Good to know sanders will recert their wheels. Bickel is doing Welds, centerline basically out of business so all those wheels are basically paperweights.


2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB
 
Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Can a wheel that is typically sold with SFI sticker be ordered without the certification and sticker? Just curious.
I did notice the clear protective sticker on my wheels starting to peel some so I guess I better check up with Weld and see what I can do. I am not required them just was the wheel I wanted.
 
Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I have read everything from the beginning of this crazy rule. I have not seen anything that states you can't remove the sticker, powder coat, and reapply the sticker. I have one pait of Welds that the stickers are both falling off of, but I put clear tape over them to hold them on.
 
Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I have read everything from the beginning of this crazy rule. I have not seen anything that states you can't remove the sticker, powder coat, and reapply the sticker. I have one pait of Welds that the stickers are both falling off of, but I put clear tape over them to hold them on.


I think that would depend on the Manufacture. I know 1st hand Weld told me no they could NOT recertify my V series if I powder coated them. Now that was about 2 years ago long before this BS rule started. Bickle is doing Weld wheel recerts so I would ask them if you have Weld wheels
 
Posts: 2385 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I have read everything from the beginning of this crazy rule. I have not seen anything that states you can't remove the sticker, powder coat, and reapply the sticker. I have one pait of Welds that the stickers are both falling off of, but I put clear tape over them to hold them on.


I think that would depend on the Manufacture. I know 1st hand Weld told me no they could NOT recertify my V series if I powder coated them. Now that was about 2 years ago long before this BS rule started. Bickle is doing Weld wheel recerts so I would ask them if you have Weld wheels


I called Weld and Bickel this week on this very topic. Bickel does the recertification for all Weld wheels. If the wheel has been powder coated - Bickel will not recertify. SFI 15.1 does not need to be recertified.
 
Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Did you ask Bickel if their recent wheels if they’ve been converted to bead locks
 
Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 7959
posted Hide Post
How do you know if the wheels were certified during production?
 
Posts: 26 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: August 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Cazman
posted Hide Post
This rule will take awhile to get sorted out with NHRA, SFI and racers.

I'm assuming that if you have a non-beadlock wheel from say Weld and had a 3rd party manufacturer install beadlocks that the wheel is now non-certifiable. Is the wheel still legal for use or is it a paperweight? I think the intent of the NHRA rule was to make anybody running quicker then 6.50 and 210mph have SFI approved wheels.

I see some 2020 NHRA rulebook amendments coming to clear this up.


Steve Casner

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
 
Posts: 455 | Location: Sheridan, CA USA | Registered: August 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I have read everything from the beginning of this crazy rule. I have not seen anything that states you can't remove the sticker, powder coat, and reapply the sticker. I have one pait of Welds that the stickers are both falling off of, but I put clear tape over them to hold them on.


I think that would depend on the Manufacture. I know 1st hand Weld told me no they could NOT recertify my V series if I powder coated them. Now that was about 2 years ago long before this BS rule started. Bickle is doing Weld wheel recerts so I would ask them if you have Weld wheels


I called Weld and Bickel this week on this very topic. Bickel does the recertification for all Weld wheels. If the wheel has been powder coated - Bickel will not recertify. SFI 15.1 does not need to be recertified.

15.1 wheels I assume would need to be decertified if the stickers peel off and the clear sticker on mine are starting to come loose.
 
Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wheel Recertification

© DragRaceResults.com 2024