DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Throttle Stop In Bracket Racing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throttle Stop In Bracket Racing
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
So im looking to experiment and wanted some feed back as how I might achieve this.

APD Max Speed Carb (throttle stop built in), Grid Ignition, Biondo Mega 450. I want to run 80% throttle or so for 500 feet then go wide open. How do I get to the 80% throttle, it would need to be 80% at launch or instantly after.

I am only really familiar with setting up for .90 racing but that's factored on RPMs while on the stop not an actual percentage.

Posts: 235 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I do it the same as S/C racing but don’t change the stop timer. Figure out about 80% open and an approximate time to get you to 500 feet. If you have a data logger it might be a little easier. Good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I do it the same as S/C racing but don’t change the stop timer. Figure out about 80% open and an approximate time to get you to 500 feet. If you have a data logger it might be a little easier. Good luck!

So I am assuming you would increase your stop RPM to 80% throttle then just figure out the time to the 500ft mark correct? Are you shifting on time or RPM?

Posts: 235 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Manually set the throttle shaft position with an angle gauge.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1674 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

Can you explain this process using a MaxSpeed Carb

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

Can you explain this process using a MaxSpeed Carb

I've only got one picture of one to look at, but if you can secure an angle gauge to the manual linkage, or maybe just a protractor to measure the sweep of the throttle arm?
Measure the throttle arm travel and stop it at 80%-ish?
Measure WOT at the throttle plate inside the bore, and close it down to 80%?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1674 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it is like a stop. Count the turns from fully closed to fully open then close it 80% by the turns. So my stop is 15 turns from closed to open. So 12 turns is 80%.

ep

Posts: 765 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I shift by time, I don’t change it during the race.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post