DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Whats the best Conventional big block chevy head
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Whats the best Conventional big block chevy head
 Login/Join
 
DRR Trophy
posted
Whats the best Conventional big block chevy head. Building a 582 for a dragster. It will be carbureted. Haven'd decided on alky or gas yet and using a wiseco Q16 piston.
 
Posts: 2 | Location: gbg | Registered: February 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
In 24 degree, the Brodix Head Hunter 383MC.

In non standard 24 degree, the SR20 Brodix.
 
Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Can I ask why limit yourself to a 582? It's understandable if it's something you already have and are rebuilding to be better, but if starting from scratch there's no replacement for displacement.. I know a guy who rebuilt his 582 and used rfd 24-b heads and tickled high 4.60's in ohio, then put the same heads and I believe even the cam into a 632 and now runs low 4.50's same track..


Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3
 
Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
In 24 degree, the Brodix Head Hunter 383MC.

In non standard 24 degree, the SR20 Brodix.


X2
 
Posts: 783 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I do already have the engine. Just looking to upgrade.
 
Posts: 2 | Location: gbg | Registered: February 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The Brodix HH's heads are not conventional! They require a different intake and offset intake rockers!

Brodix, Dart, Profiler and AFR and others all produce very good conventional heads. Pretty much impossible to pick one, your just splitting hairs. More important to get the entire combo correct!!!
 
Posts: 2136 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
Trick Flow Powerport 365’s



WiredTwoWin race car wiring



 
Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Head hunter 395MC
Par 5 Cam
Matching Brodix Instake
Weisco Quick 16 pistons
Angle Mill Heads, port match and clean up intake and I promise you it will run.


2010 Silver Dollar Raceway Track Champ
2005,2006,2009 Super Pro points runner up
 
Posts: 315 | Location: Warner Robins, Georgia | Registered: August 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Lol.... conventional ...lol
 
Posts: 1231 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Very happy with the CFE 350 conventional head. Been 4.64/7.32 @ 182 in good air with my 555 at 1910#, Normally 7.40s. I bet those heads would go 4.60s and 7.30s in normal air on a 582.

They also make that head in a 380.
 
Posts: 708 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Very happy with the CFE 350 conventional head. Been 4.64/7.32 @ 182 in good air with my 555 at 1910#, Normally 7.40s. I bet those heads would go 4.60s and 7.30s in normal air on a 582.

They also make that head in a 380.


Was this on gas or alky?
 
Posts: 101 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Man, my ole junk is slow. LOL


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5288 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gxp7903:
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Very happy with the CFE 350 conventional head. Been 4.64/7.32 @ 182 in good air with my 555 at 1910#, Normally 7.40s. I bet those heads would go 4.60s and 7.30s in normal air on a 582.

They also make that head in a 380.


Was this on gas or alky?


Injected alcohol (terminator).
 
Posts: 708 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
now if I can get gxp7903 to just tell me how he did that ! lol
quote:
I know a guy who rebuilt his 582 and used rfd 24-b heads and tickled high 4.60's in ohio, then put the same heads and I believe even the cam into a 632 and now runs low 4.50's same track..


Michael Frizie
ET 2471
 
Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Helping a buddy put in a 615 Dart Pro 2 380cc motor in a 3000 lb Nova.

I am real curious to see how it runs as I would NOT have built/ordered the motor as he did. I think its going to be slower than he thinks.

My 555 13:1 alcohol motor with first two second of run at -19 degrees has 335cc Dart Pro 1 heads, car weights 3350 and I am 200lbs runs 9.03@153MPH. 2 inch headers. Car still have power everything, stereo, carpets, just a race seat is only internal change other than safety stuff.

I am really curious to see how this motor runs with that big of runners/headers. I think its going to be slower than mine. If he cranks off a 8.6-8.7 I will be impressed. Anything less its a disappointment.

I only look at real world results on the track to determine good, better, or best.



Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH



3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

 
Posts: 1425 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ski,

If it doesn't work I'll go as much as 500 bucks for it. I wouldn't want him to be disappointed. Big Grin


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5288 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Haha. He paid 22.5k for it. It better fly! I wanted him to build same exact combo as mine with 500lbs lighter I could have guaranteed it would have been 8.7s all day long. Especially if the car would take fill power launches. Mine wants to ride wheelie bars 100+ft. And I bracket race so I dial back the grid to kill power.

In think the big runner heads are fine in lighter cars.. But not for over 2800lbs. We shall see.
 
Posts: 1425 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I think that unless you're dyno testing, any similar head will give close to similar results. 10-20 HP difference on an engine making 800-1000 HP isn't going to be very noticeable.

My 588 has some heavily ported Dart 360 heads. Might not be the best or fastest option but when I bought them, the price was good and they work well enough for me. They're ported out so much that there are sleeves for the head bolts through the intake passages. Never had them flowed. Best guess is around 400 cfm.

Theoretically, my car should run 8.6's at sea level.


www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

 
Posts: 1347 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
"Confucius Racer say If big is good, bigger is better"


.
Dave



F J B

 
Posts: 4436 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
Helping a buddy put in a 615 Dart Pro 2 380cc motor in a 3000 lb Nova.

I am real curious to see how it runs as I would NOT have built/ordered the motor as he did. I think its going to be slower than he thinks.

My 555 13:1 alcohol motor with first two second of run at -19 degrees has 335cc Dart Pro 1 heads, car weights 3350 and I am 200lbs runs 9.03@153MPH. 2 inch headers. Car still have power everything, stereo, carpets, just a race seat is only internal change other than safety stuff.

I am really curious to see how this motor runs with that big of runners/headers. I think its going to be slower than mine. If he cranks off a 8.6-8.7 I will be impressed. Anything less its a disappointment.

I only look at real world results on the track to determine good, better, or best.



I would like to know what this motor runs, I ran a set of BMF 385 heads on a 565 alky injected motor and that think would fly but it was in a 2400 pound car.
 
Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Whats the best Conventional big block chevy head

© DragRaceResults.com 2024