DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Grid and base ignition timing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grid and base ignition timing?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
If all my retards are off, it is ok to move my distributor to set my timing while my motor is running?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 596 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In the SETTING / GENERAL tabs the Maximum Timing Reference should be programmed to the desired timing.

In the IGNITION TIMING / ENGINE RPM tabs the Main Timing and the Max Timing both need to be programmed to the same value as the Maximum Timing Reference when setting timing.

Any step retards need to be not activated.

Grid is firing without any retards and you can properly adjust/ set timing using the distributor trigger. This method also applies to Crank Triggers.

Posts: 2550 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
So for example, my desired timing is 34 dregres,
Those values should all be set to that , then recheck at the balancer?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 596 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Yes

Posts: 2550 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s an example of how to easily change timing for an entire run using Grid programming.

This engine has its timing set at 36* and runs Not retarded from 600 to 3000 rpm. At 3100 rpm the engine timing drops to 34.5* .

In the Data Acquisition the engine is at 4000 rpm prior to launch. The timing is reduced to 34.5* and remains this way until the run is complete. The engine timing returns to 36* after the run is complete and rpm is below 3100.

What I like about using this method of Grid Programming for timing trial and error during a run, is that Grid is only running retarded when above 3100 rpm while on the racing surface. Changing the last Ignition Timing value at 3100 rpm in Programming, allows you to quickly make any desired timing change that is equal to or less than Max Timing.

https://i.imgur.com/8K4clp7.jpg

<DOTracer>
posted
Switching from an analog box to a digital can change your timing anywhere from 5 to 7 degrees.

On mine, it was 7 degrees different. Just reset your crank trigger or distributor, and reset the phasing.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
All my retards are turned off . I just recently bought a new engine and was checking and moving the timing like old school with the engine running. had a buddy say he heard you cant move it like an analog ignition with it running. checking verifying that was true are not as I couldn't find it in the instructions for the grid. Missing my old 7al2 Laughing Hard

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Switching from an analog box to a digital can change your timing anywhere from 5 to 7 degrees.

On mine, it was 7 degrees different. Just reset your crank trigger or distributor, and reset the phasing.

funny you mention that, I was asked what ignition I had on the car by the builder, he told me to check at again on the car as it would be different from the dyno to the car without moving the distributor, and he was right!

Michael Frizie
ET 2471